Am Samstag, den 10.06.2017, 13:23 +0000 schrieb David Pesetsky:
> Is there any way to have BibTex citations resolve correctly while
> editing without having "BibTeX Generated Bibliography" constantly
> visible at the bottom of the buffer.

With a hack, yes (see below).

> I find myself constantly going to the end of the buffer to continue
> writing my document and having to hit the back arrow and return to
> avoid  "BibTeX Generated Bibliography" — plus it's distracting.  If
> there's a way to hide it, or to get Lyx to resolve citations on-
> screen and in pdf previews without it, that would be excellent.

The inset is needed for two reasons: (1) it tells LaTeX where to put
the references (they could be placed anywhere in the document) and (2)
it tells LyX which database and and style is used.

For the latter, it does not matter where you place the inset. So you
could place it at the beginning of a document, but in a note inset (in
order to prevent it being printed at this position).

For the former, you could add to your preamble something such as:

\AtEndDocument{%
\bibliographystyle{<your bibliography style>}
\bibliography{<your bib databases>}
}

(i.e., the LaTeX output of the "BibTeX Generated Bibliography" inset
wrapped into \AtEndDocument).

HTH
Jürgen