On 01/08/2017 18:13, Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:

Talking about computer-unsavvy:

The wife of a friend of mine demands that he install MSWord for her
because she was using it in a course. He installs NeoOffice. She then
gives him a serious hard time demanding he install MSWord or else
because she could not print her paper.

So he asks her how she printed in the course: "I click on the printer"
(button). So he tells her to look for a button that looked similar to a
printer. She finds it, cklicks and nothing happens.

So, of course, she proceeds to give him a serious hard time demanding
he install MSWord or else!

A minute later their 10 year old comes out of the living room where he
has been playing on the XBox with a few printed pages and says: "Did
someone print this on the printer in the living room?"

Your point being? that one example sets a rule?

You can not ask from collaborators to set up a GIT repo, but, yes, you
can ask collaborators using LyX anyway, to check out/in LyX files from
within LyX (because it hides GIT quite well).

It's difficult.

Your humble opinion. And in any case just a consequence of the way the code is made at the moment.

 And it's not really necessary.

Again your humblest opinion.

12 years ago I was writing all my practice documents in LyX (already).
Got them all sorted (see the script above).

ODF documents come along as a ZIP file which has bunches of files inside...

And, my observation over the years (linux user # 1387 :-)-O), the
people squealing loudest for features in Open Source software are the
ones that fund the least.

Your point being? that #1387 knows it all? (until #1386 comes and overrules him? :P ) ... come on! Ricardo is making a fair point, you are telling stories ... instead you should reflect on what he is saying!

Maybe it does not apply to you personally as a developer (if you are a developer, I do not know, sorry for not knowing your biography #1386), but I can support Ricardo on this. He is not the first one who I hear reporting this type of behavior when interacting with open source developers. Frankly it does not sound absurd at all even if you do not anything about software, but you know something about human beings. Is quite easy to imagine the possibility that people in a somewhat dominating position on an issue might abuse of this position. In this particular case someone knows the code and manages it. Some other person just has a (maybe nice, maybe terrible) idea on how to develop the software further and the "knowledgeable" person just uses what he/she knows or his manager power to reject what other bring to discussion. Even if the idea is truly bad, what happens is a bit like a 5th grade teacher making fun of the students who suggests to compute a square root by some incorrect method. Is it necessary or helpful for the community to mistreat people? I only see a cheap way to pump up one's ego in doing such things.

I have to say that this is quite common phenomenon when talking in message boards like this one and I have read often bad reaction of this type from developers. Ricardo has synthesized the issue in a very clear and concise manner, which must mean he has seen it happening quite a bit and thought about it a lot, otherwise such synthesis would not be achieved.

I think we should all reflect on this. In my opinion if an open source project goes somewhere or nowhere depends to a large extent on this kind of things, not just on features missing with respect to alternative software, or any other technical aspect of it. If you remove the social aspect of open source, it would clearly limp ...

greetings, el