Doctor Who wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Bryan Blackburn <b...@macports.org> wrote:

>> [...]
>>> Looks like you have coreutils +with_default_names installed, but you
>>> broke it. /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib is provided by gettext, but for
>>> some reason it seems not to be active.
>> Somebody reported this same issue last night on IRC, where it fails to
>> deactivate gettext but not giving any actual error message.  It ends up
>> removing all files from ${prefix} but then fails to set the port as not
>> active, and ends up confused.
>>
>> You can't force-activate as it complains that it is already active, and any
>> further deactivate results in the same output above.
>>
>> Unfortunately I didn't see any way to deal with this or what the cause was,
>> and was hoping it was a one-off issue.  This is two now this weekend, so
>> maybe something strange is going on in base...
>>
>> Bryan
>>

> Well, I hope there is some way to fix/recover from this.  I cannot
> even list files on my file system in Terminal.app (as evidenced by the
> attempt at the ls command above).

It is trying to use /opt/local/bin/ls which is broken. You can still use
/bin/ls.

You can now either always type the full path /bin/ls, remove
/opt/local/bin from your PATH or deactivate the broken coreutils:
  sudo port deactivate coreutils

Then you should at least have working ls/cp/mv etc. again.

Now to fix the gettext issue, please try if this works now:
  sudo port deactivate gettext
  sudo port activate gettext

registry1.0 uses calls like 'system "rm -rf ${receipt_file}"' to work
with receipt files, so it was unable to operate with the broken
coreutils in PATH.

Rainer