On Jan 18, 2009, at 20:39, Doctor Who wrote:

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Jan 18, 2009, at 20:18, Doctor Who wrote:

Not to be a pain, but I'm pretty new to MacPorts and I don't want to
mess my system up more.  Would you please outline the steps I should
take one by one to (hopefully) restore my system back to 'normal'?

I meant to say earlier, but don't feel that you're bothering us: you've clearly found a problem and we need to first get you out of it and then figure out how to not make it affect others. Sorry this happened; I know it's not a pleasant experience, especially when you're just trying to get used to MacPorts. It's not usually like this. :)

I'm not certain, as I haven't encountered this problem before.

But my suggestion is exactly as I outlined above.

1. Edit /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf and change this line:

#binpath
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ X11R6/bin

Remove the hash at the beginning and change the order so that it reads:

binpath
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/ X11R6/bin

2. Deactivate your old gettext:

sudo port deactivate gettext @0.17_3

3. Activate your new gettext:

sudo port activate gettext @0.17_4

4. Uninstall coreutils because it is not a good idea to override the default
Mac OS X file utilities:

sudo port uninstall coreutils

5. Edit /opt/local/etc/macports/macporst.conf and put the binpath line back the way it was before, including the order of the paths and the hash at the
beginning of the line.

OK, when I get to the point of activating the later version of
gettext, it's not installed:

tbook:~ who$ sudo port deactivate gettext @0.17_3
--->  Deactivating gettext @0.17_3
tbook:~ who$ sudo port activate gettext @0.17_4
Error: port activate failed: Registry error: gettext 0.17_4 not
registered as installed.

What should I do at this point to install this version correctly?

Try:

sudo port install gettext