Nicola Mfb wrote:
> I come from OpenMoko Freerunner experience, where I'm able to flash
> the bootloader, the logo, the kernel, the rootfs and have multiple
> boot option to run several linux distro on different sd partitions.
> There are two bootloaders, the first in NOR readonly, the second in
> NAND and is used as default and is flashable, so you are able to use a
> modern and upgradable bootloader and if something goes wrong are able
> to debrick it booting from NOR, making the freerunner perfect as a
> Linux hacking device.

Bootloader on N8x0 and 770 is closed. Kernel and rootfs can be replaced
but for best experience one needs to stay with Nokia released kernel
versions (2.6.18, 2.6.21). Other versions boot too but not everything is
working 100% since some bits are closed or never went upstream or were
removed due to bit rot (dspgateway).

With N900 we don't know yet but hopefully the bootloader will be u-boot.
Also the hardware is very similar to other OMAP3 based devices
(OpenPandora, Beagleboard, Touchbook, even Palm Pre) so the chance of
bit rotting is lower. Previously problematic parts (wi-fi, dsp) are more
open now, new 'problematic' stuff is 3d and phone parts. 3d have kernel
parts open but userspace is not, phone is hopefully open enough. Overall
I guess it will be perfect as a Linux hacking device if you like N900
hardware.

> The hardware is exposed by kernel in a standard way, e.g. the phone
> audio connections are managed by alsa while on other fakefree devices
> (like HTC dream) there are some closed source libraries to do that
> preventing the port of opensource phone stack (FSO).

The oFono phone stack is open.
http://lwn.net/Articles/332820/

> So may someone explain what's about the N900? How much is it open?

Wee need to wait a bit until first hardware gets into our hands. Do we
have dmesg log already?

Frantisek