On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Frantisek Dufka wrote:

> Nicola Mfb wrote:
>>> With N900 we don't know yet but hopefully the bootloader will be u-boot.
>>
>> That's nice, the best would be if we'll be able to update/replace
>> u-boot, and have a way to debrick the device if something goes wrong.
>
> u-boot is just my guess, any other choice does not look sane to me, but
> still it can be a wrong guess.
>
> OMAP3 is designed to be unbrickable, it can boot from usb or serial or
> mmc directly from its boot ROM, bootloader in flash is not needed. I'm
> not sure how configurable is the priority list for booting (i.e. if it
> could be locked to load bootloader only from NAND flash) but hopefully
> it will by possible to bypass even the bootloader in NAND(u-boot or
> whatever).

Boot configuration priorities are controlled through specific pins on the
device, which might be hardwired on the device board to force a specific
configuration. Disabling USB boot entirely from the booting sequence is
possible. There might be security concerns with USB booting, but large
customers, such as Nokia, may be also able to push features to the
internal boot ROM that solve these issues.

See OMAP34xx Wireless Technical Reference Manual
(SWPU114U_FinalEPDF_08_17_2009.pdf), "26.2.3 Boot configuration" for more
detailed explanation.

-kirma