On 2/29/2012 11:21 AM, Frank Bell wrote:
All, within the last ten minutes my linux sysadmin discovered that the mailman-aliases file at /etc/mail did not for some reason contain one or two entries. (yes after migration I ran genaliases )

Solution was:
He brought the old mailman-aliases from the old server,
copied the missing entries into the new mailman-aliasesand
then ran newaliases

Thanks for the response!!

Thank you,
Frank Bell
Application Systems Admin
ISS
785-670-2334

1 Cor 15:10
"By the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain . . .."

On 2/29/2012 11:13 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Frank Bell writes:

>  After an upgrade last night all our lists can send email except one.
> It is rejected by the smtp server it says that address does not exist.
>  The mailman page for the list exists, the mbox file exists
> Any thoughts on what went wrong and how to fix it? (just happens to be
>  the iss-directors list)

While this is probably not the best place to get help for this problem
-- it's almost surely *not* a *Mailman* problem -- we will give it a
try.  But we need to know what exactly was upgraded and migrated, from
where to where?  Especially, which MTA(s) is (are) used at your site
by hosts involved in list post distribution.  And what address is
being rejected by what server.  (Feel free to post the entire
rejection message.  That's best.  If necessary you can redact
information that needs to be private, but that may make diagnosis
inaccurate.)

Specifically, if the SMTP server says the address doesn't exist, the
problem is in the MTA configuration.  The first thing to do is to
check for a typo in the aliases for the MTA.  The second is that some
MTAs (Exim, for one) support "automatic" aliases based on certain
conditions that can include the presence of config files and the like.
Perhaps a prerequisite for auto-aliasing is missing for that list.
There are other possibilities but those are the first ones off the top
of my head.

If you ran genaliases, and the alias file in use was incomplete, then I assume that genaliases is updating an alias file that is different than the alias file
that your MTA is using.

--Barry Finkel