http://muslimmatters.org/2009/09/28/the-polygamist-fantasy-and-the-distressing-of-sisters/

The Polygamist Fantasy And The Distressing Of Sisters

Posted by Guests • September 28th, 2009 • Printer-friendly • 186 Comments

Guest post by AbdelRahman Murphy

One night, during a conference that I went to in the summer, my wife
and I had a conversation about the day’s events. One topic in our
conversation that came up was the issue of American-Muslims and the
struggle of marriage.

Earlier in the day, during his session, one of the lecturers asked for
a quick show of hands as to how many people in the audience were
married. Being a newly-inducted member into this (seemingly) exclusive
group, I raised my hand and took a glance around the room, expecting
to see a good number of brothers and sisters with their arms in the
air. To my concern, the amount of raised hands in the was less than 20
- out of the 130 people in the room, approximately 110 of them were
not married (as a piece of information to help paint the picture, the
majority in the room was sisters).

As my wife and I discussed this odd phenomenon of young, practicing,
Muslim singles remaining single, I asked the stereotypically male
question, “Why are there so many unmarried people here? You would
think that with such a large quantity of actively-Muslim Muslims that
there would be a high percentage of brothers and sisters that were
hitched.”

My wife shrugged, “Not sure, and it’s not like they don’t want to get
married, a lot of the sisters I’ve met are looking for a husband.” And
then it dawned on me - the proverbial apple had dropped from Isaac’s
tree and struck me on the head, pulling to the forefront of my mind,
an amazing idea: “Why don’t the brothers and sisters here who are
unmarried just marry each other!” It was so simple! I was on my way to
becoming the matchmaker of the century, and had already began
imagining my acceptance speech as the new president of Practimate.com.

“Pfft,” she said.

“Pfft? Is that such a terrible idea? We have two groups of unmarried
people here, is it so hard to imagine that there would be some
marriage-matches amongst them?”

“It’s possible - if the guys act like men.”

Whoa! Where was this coming from? The brothers I’d met during my time
at the conference were, masha Allah, rising stars of dawah in America.
The level of knowledge that was to be seen on the Y-chromosome side of
the classroom was admirable, and I felt lucky to be a part of the
group. Surely, brothers who were actively racing towards gaining
knowledge from their teachers had passed the proverbial gate of
maturation into manhood!

“Act like men? Huh?”

“The sisters would be interested, if they noticed any guys who would
act mature. The main complaint I’m hearing on the girls’ side is that
the guys aren’t acting like candidates that the girls would be
interested in. For example, today when the shaykh mentioned the phrase
“second wife,” the brothers started giggling and high-fiving
like...boys! Just watch for the next couple of days and tell me what
you think.”

And so the Achilles heel of the situation was revealed; the sisters’
allergic reaction to polygamist tendencies.

I had decided to take my wife up on her suggestion and keep an eye on
the personalities of the brothers as a group, particular when any
topic of marriage was discussed, monogamist or polygamist.

Surely enough, as the days went on, I noticed precisely what my wife
was saying. At any point during the seminar when any word or phrase
that had a relation to having one or more than one wife was mentioned,
there would be at least a small group of brothers who would make a
smart comment, completing their ritualistic statements with some sort
of testosterone-filled body gesture, whether it be a fist-pump, a high
five, or simply a fist raised in the air (as though on an Olympic medal
podium of the 1948 summer games). And then it dawned on me, as did
many things in this blessed past year of marriage, the perspective
from the “other” side. My wife had shed some light on the situation
from the point of view of the sisters, and, as a public service (read:
sadaqah jaariyah), I’d like to share some advices in regards to that
utopian vision many of you may have.

Be Real

For those of you who are single, a quick math refresher: you have to
have one before you can have two! It’s fine if you genuinely and truly
want more than one wife in this life (for the right reasons) - some
guys do, and are actively looking for it. But realize that you, single
brother, haven’t even experienced what marriage is like, yet. You
haven’t felt the responsibility of maintaining a wife and a family -
it is quite a handful, though the work doesn’t mean it’s not
enjoyable. See if you can handle having one wife first, insha Allah,
before you decide that having two is a piece of cake. Who knows, you
may find the allure of having multiple wives not so strong when you
get married for the first (and probably only) time.

It’s Hurting Your Game

Now, since we’ve established that getting married is a goal for you,
brother, maybe taking a look at how these actions of pseudo polygamist
rhetoric affect your standing with the sisters could give you some
insight into how to fix your problem of involuntary singularity. As
this article is bluntly stating, most sisters don’t enjoy the thought
of their potential spouse scoping out their wedding for wife numero
dos. If you’re serious about carrying out this particular Sunnah for
your own personal reasons, then seek out sisters who are predisposed
to accepting it as your lifestyle. But if you’re just doing it because
the dream excites you or makes you feel “macho,” then drop the gig,
because it’s not helping you, and is actually hurting your chances for
finding Sr. Right.

Sister Paranoia

Once, while I was at a friend’s house discussing this topic with him,
and a certain article came up in conversation. It was one that we had
both read that had articulated the idea that wives should realize that
part of manhood is the innate desire to want more than one wife, so
the wife should be constantly and adequately “re-inventing” herself,
so as to distract the husband from wanting more than one wife. To
this, the brother’s wife chimed in, “So wait, on top of my family
responsibilities and my social and dawah responsibilities, now I’m
supposed to worry that when my husband goes out by himself, or even
with me, that he’ll be scoping out for another wife? That’s
depressing.”

Now, we all may have heard a story or two about how sisters go beyond
the bounds of protectiveness and dwell in the lands of suspicion in
regards to their husbands. We know that from an Islamic (49:12), as
well as a marital, perspective, these unfounded fears are not fair to
the men in these relationships. Not only are they not fair, but a lack
of trust, from either side of the relationship, is extremely damaging
to the marriage in general. However, the (usually sarcastic)
referencing of “getting another one” fuels what could’ve been a small
spark of waswaas from Shaytan into an inferno of paranoia and worry.

One thing that I’ve learned from taking classes with different
teachers on marriage and family life is that a man should never dangle
a second wife over the first wife’s head as a threat or motivation to
“do better.” This is disturbing and damaging to the psyche of sisters
in general, whether they are married and it’s happening to them, or if
they are unmarried and worrying about picking a guy because “what’s
the point, he’ll probably just be scoping out for number two while
we’re cutting the cake at our own wedding.”

Respect The Sunnah

This article is not meant to say that it is weird, or that it is
unnatural to want more than one wife. Definitely not - to each his
own. Some men have the desire for more than one wife in this life,
some don’t. Regardless whether you truly do or don’t, respecting it as
a Sunnah comes into play. It’s not something to prance around about,
flaunting how you’re going to have each of “the four” specialize in
different culinary cuisines (true story). If you’re doing this, it’s
because Allah allowed it and the Prophet [saw] and some of his
companions did it. It is a Sunnah in this regard, and should be
treated with the dignity and seriousness of any other Sunnah. By
lowering it to some sort of sensory fantasy, you’re lowering it’s
dignity for those brothers who actually do plan on supporting more
than one family insha Allah.

As A Preemptive Defense

I am a brother who is already married, and I did not write this
article with the intention to woo and sister with my compassion into
proposing to me. I am simply a guy who noticed a void in the akhlaaq
and honor of the Muslims and decided to give it a bit of analysis and
honest advice. The tone might’ve been a pinch cynical, but I think it
was needed to get the message across. This is something that has been
on my mind (as well as a few others, feel free to reveal yourself as a
supporter of the cause) for a while, and I thought MuslimMatters would
be a mature enough forum to discuss it.

www.suhaibwebb.com

Kirim email ke