http://www.altmuslimah.com/a/b/a/islam_and_manhood/

MASCULINITY
Islam and manhood

BY SIAD DARWISH, DECEMBER 18, 2009

The challenge we’re facing is not one of Islam but of manhood. To
overcome the image of the Muslim men as violent and that of men more
generally is to recognize other positive male attributes, live and
emphasize them.

The infamy of Islamist terrorism over the past years have created an
image of Muslim man as intrinsically prone to violent behavior, even
if directed toward the self rather than the other. The image of the
angry, flag-burning, chanting Muslim man has become the epitome of
male violence. However the photos fail to explain that, firstly, the
anger is finds justification, and secondly, that the chants rarely
spill over into to physical violence and thirdly that violence is not
exclusive to Muslim men.

>From my personal experience, physical violence among men is far less
frequent in the Muslim world than western cities for example, at least
outside political and military realms. It seems rather staged forms of
violence that are most prevalent, both in the domestic and public
sphere. To illustrate my point, let me recount a small story that I
have similarly observed in three Muslim countries.

In Damascus, Syria, a heavily bearded man drives his car into a fruit
seller’s stall. The vendor screams insults at the driver, who, in
turn, jumps out of the car and rushes towards the vendor, shaking his
fists in rage. The vendor answers with an even greater fit of anger
and shakes his fists in the air. A crowd gathers around them. The
driver of the car lunges forward, only as somebody is in arms’ reach
to hold him back. As expected, he is held back as he struggles
theatrically, still screaming. The vendor follows suit. The
performance continues for 30 minutes without any assertion of physical
violence.

Pierre Bourdieu, who liked to look at the social world as a stage, and
humans as performers, observed a similar ‘performance’ during his work
among the Berbers, an indigenous people of North Africa. Bourdieu
situated masculinity in this social exchange within a framework of
honor; he described ‘performed masculinity’ as a form of challenge and
riposte that establishes social hierarchies. A challenge confers honor
onto a man, because behind the call to contest lies an underlying
assumption that the challenge requires a riposte, an act of possible
injury or danger. Therefore, a challenge is only addressed to a man
deemed capable of playing the theater of honor. The theatrical
exchange provides an opportunity for both males to prove their
belonging to the world of man.

Apart from diverting the focus away from physical violence, the
concept of ‘performed masculinity’ illustrates the importance of
male-male competition in the construction of Muslim masculinity. This
offers a rather interesting angle, given that in an Islamic context we
normally look at the power relations between the sexes and not within
them.

Despite that, it is undeniable that there is connection between
dominant constructions of masculinity throughout the world and
violence. Otherwise it wouldn’t be young men that are both the
perpetrators and victims of the vast majority of violent crimes
globally. Although many scholars have argued that there are at least
contributing biological factors to male rather than female violence,
we only have to look at our televisions sets, popular role-models and
leaders to understand that violence is social capital for men.

The challenge we’re facing is not one of Islam but of manhood. To
overcome the image of the Muslim men as violent and that of men more
generally is to recognize other positive male attributes, live and
emphasize them. We have to turn to women to relearn or reclaim some of
the attributes that male socialization has taken from us, we have to
stand shoulder by shoulder with them and recognize that Muslim men are
caring, empathetic and men enough to be different.

Siad Darwish is a peacebuilder, civil society activist and trainer on
intercultural dialogue, gender, nonviolence and conflict resolution.
He is part of the Women’s Peacemakers Program’s unit on ‘masculinity,
violence and peace’. Siad holds an MA in Anthropology from Sussex
University, where his research focused on the relationship between
HIV/AIDS and Islam. In the past years, he has lived in Germany, Spain,
Guatemala, England, Syria and Lebanon.

MILIS MAJELIS MUDA MUSLIM BANDUNG (M3B)
Milis tempat cerita, curhat atau ngegosip mengenai masalah anak muda dan Islam.

Sekretariat :
Jl Hegarmanah no 10 Bandung 40141
Telp : (022)2036730, 2032494 Fax : (022) 2034294

Kirim posting mailto:majelismuda@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: