I thought about this some more.

Since your aim is to ultimately be showing some kind of URL the task pane
(or new window, or frame) in response to a selection, and my aim is for this
viewer to be as much configuration-driven as it possibly can be (I want
custom coding to be a last resort solution where possible), I think the
easiest solution would be to add some kind of mount property that allows
certain InvokeURL commands to be automatically run on a selection change.

InvokeURL commands already have layer/selection filters and parameter
support. The only thing is such commands require manually clicking said
command from a referencing menu or toolbar after a selection has been made.

To put this another way, can you achieve what you're after currently with a
manually clicked InvokeURL command?

If so, I can easily make the manual part automatic.

- Jackie