John Gruber wrote:
That's what I'm thinking the output should be. I think there should be
an official rule that all block-level constructs must be separated by
a blank line.

This sounds just terrible to me. I don't want to require huge numbers of blank lines whenever I want deeply nested lists, etc. People don't always use such blank lines when they write (non-markdown) plain text emails or documents, and I think mandating them in general is a mistake. The current inconsistent hodge-podge behavior, which horribly breaks on all the edge cases, is of course also not the right solution.

-Jacob