Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the availability of an early-view paper that
describes a new R package, called qfasar, for the estimation of predator
diet composition using quantitative fatty acid signature analysis (QFASA).
QFASA is one of the most common methods of estimating diet composition for
marine species. The package incorporates traditional estimation methods and
several improvements drawn from a series of our recent methodology papers.

Citation:

Bromaghin, J. F. 2017. qfasar: quantitative fatty acid signature analysis
with R. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. doi: 10.1111/2041-210X.12740.

Summary

1. Knowledge of predator diets provides essential insights into their
ecology, yet diet estimation is challenging and remains an active area of
research.

2. Quantitative fatty acid signature analysis (QFASA) is a popular method
of estimating diet composition that continues to be investigated and
extended. However, software to implement QFASA has only recently become
publicly available.

3. I summarize a new R package, qfasar, for diet estimation using QFASA
methods. The package also provides functionality to evaluate and
potentially improve the performance of a library of prey signature data,
compute goodness-of-fit diagnostics, and support simulation-based research.
Several procedures in the package have not previously been published.

4. QFASAR makes traditional and recently published QFASA diet estimation
methods accessible to ecologists for the first time. Use of the package is
illustrated with signature data from Chukchi Sea polar bears and potential
prey species.

Regards,

Jeff
Jeffrey F. Bromaghin, PhD