Dear Marmamers,

We are seeking assistants for the Dolphin Innovation Project’s
(www.sharkbaydolphins.org<https://deref-gmx.net/mail/client/dereferrer/?redirectUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsharkbaydolphins.org>)
 2017 field season in Shark Bay, Western Australia. Three positions are
available: one from mid-June through September (~14 weeks) and two from late
July through September (~9 weeks).

Our research is conducted out of the small township of Useless Loop in the
western gulf of Shark Bay. We carry out boat based surveys, collecting a
combination of photo-ID, behavioural, ecological and genetic data from the
resident dolphins and their environment. These different aspects will be the
focus of the field effort at different periods throughout the field season.

Days on the water can be long and tiring in variable conditions, but you will
encounter dolphins that form complex alliances, and those that exhibit
remarkable foraging specializations, as well as the myriad of other wildlife
(e.g. sharks, rays, turtles, dugongs) inhabiting this remote World Heritage
Area. When the weather does not permit fieldwork, you will be working on photo
matching and processing, data entry, and the long-term database.

We seek dedicated, hard-working individuals with the willingness and ability to
acquire new skills, as well as work diligently on routine tasks. As we live and
work in close quarters for extended periods, we need easy-going team players,
and a positive attitude is imperative. Prior field experience, including
familiarity with conducting photo-ID and the handling of small (<6m) boats are
desirable qualities.

These are volunteer positions and you need to make your own way to Shark Bay,
but food and accommodation (in dongas, i.e. single person quarters) on-site are
covered. Preference will be given to those who can commit for the entire time
for each of the respective positions.

If you are interested in volunteering on our project, please send your CV,
including contact details of two referees and a short cover letter, in a single
PDF to PhD candidate and field team leader Sonja Wild (b...@leeds.ac.uk).
Please indicate whether you are available to start in June or July. Deadline
for applications is the Friday, 24th of March.

Best wishes,

The Dolphin Innovation Project