Dear All,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am please to announce the new publication
(short note) of the following article:

Bacon, Cathy E., Mari A. Smultea, Dagmar Fertl, Bernd Würsig, Elizabeth A.
Burgess, and Stefanie Hawks-Johnson. Mixed-Species Associations of Marine
Mammals in the Southern California Bight, with Emphasis on Risso’s Dolphins
(*Grampus griseus*). Aquatic Mammals 43(2): 177-184. doi:
10.1578/AM.43.2.2017.177

Mixed-species associations are temporary associations of individuals of two
or more animal species involved in similar activities. Among marine
mammals, mixed-species associations are relatively uncommon and appear to
vary by such factors as region, season, prey availability, and behavioral
state. While mixed-species associations occasionally are reported for
marine mammals in portions of the Southern California Bight (SCB), little
attention has been given to understanding the broader extent and context of
these interactions within the larger SCB. Over a 6-y period, we conducted
line-transect aerial surveys throughout much of the SCB and became
interested in the mixed-species associations we observed. Herein, we
examine the relative frequency of species and behaviors found in marine
mammal mixed-species associations, and describe those involving Risso’s
dolphins (*Grampus griseus*) since it was the most common species among
mixed-species associations. We review and compare our observations with
other data on mixed-species associations of marine mammals from California
waters.

A pdf may be obtained from the following link:
http://aquaticmammalsjournal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=159&Itemid=326

Best regards,
Cathy

--