Dear MARMAM community,

We are pleased to announce the publication of our identification catalogue:

*Killer Whales of West Iceland. Photo-Identification Catalogue of North
Atlantic Killer Whales Recorded along the Snæfellsnes Peninsula and in
Breiðafjörður 2014 – 2017. Compiled by Marie-Thérèse Mrusczok.*

The catalogue is accessible under the following link:
http://orcaguardians.org/orca-id-catalogue/

The catalogue was published by Orca Guardians Iceland, an independent
conservation nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection of orcas in
Iceland and their habitat through non-invasive research and education.

Find more information at: www.orcaguardians.org and
www.facebook.com/orcaguardians

In this publication, the first of two consecutive catalogue parts on the
occurrence of killer whales photographed in the coastal waters of West
Iceland from January 2014 to April 2017 is presented.

An overall aim of our year-round identification work both from land and sea
is to record as many individual killer whales as possible moving through
the area, with as few knowledge gaps as possible, extending fieldwork over
the longest achievable period of time. This will help identify potential
critical habitat / important feeding grounds of the Icelandic orca
population and provide crucial knowledge for conservation measures.

Furthermore, collecting data (and an average of 40,000 photographs) in the
same area throughout the year gives unique insights into migration
patterns, social structure, and feeding habits of repeatedly documented
individuals. The catalogue is thus used as a tool to aid in conservation
work, for the long-term monitoring of the population, and as a
reference document
for ongoing and future research.

Best wishes

Marie Mrusczok