Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of the
following article in the Journal of the Marine Biological Association of
the UK:
Mariel T.I. ten Doeschate, Andrew C. Brownlow, Nicholas J. Davison, and
Paul M. Thompson
*Dead useful; methods for quantifying baseline variability in stranding
rates to improve the ecological value of the strandings record as a
monitoring tool. *JMBA. doi:10.1017/S0025315417000698

*ABSTRACT: **The ecological value of the stranding record is often
challenged due to the complexity in quantifying the biases associated with
multiple components of the stranding process. There are biological,
physical and social aspects that complicate the interpretation of stranding
data particularly at a population level. We show how examination of
baseline variability in the historic stranding record can provide useful
insights into temporal trends* *and facilitate the detection of unusual
variability in stranding rates.  Seasonal variability was examined using
harbour porpoise strandings between 1992 and 2014 on the east coast of
Scotland. Generalised Additive Mixed modelling revealed a strong seasonal
pattern, with numbers increasing from February towards a peak in April.
Profiling seasonality this way facilitates detection of unusual elevations
in stranding frequencies. With this study we aim to demonstrate that a
described baseline in strandings allows the detection of abnormalities at
an early stage. This methodology thereby provides means to quantify and
partition the variability associated with strandings data and is a useful
first step towards improving the stranding record as a management resource.*

If you would like a PDF of this article or have any questions, please do
not hesitate to contact me on marielten.doesch...@sac.co.uk or
marieltdoesch...@gmail.com

Cheers,

*Mariel ten Doeschate *Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Scheme
SRUC Veterinary Services
Inverness IV2 4JZ
+44 (0) 7990513589
www.strandings.org