Dear colleagues,

We have just published a paper on the anatomical bases of acoustic allometry in
harbour seal pups (i.e. which features of the vocal apparatus make a small pup
sound small?), which might be of interest to some members of the list. The
paper is open access and freely available at:
https://academic.oup.com/cz/article/3603549/How-small-could-a-pup-sound-The-physical-bases-of

Ravignani, A., Gross, S., Garcia, M., Rubio-Garcia, A., & de Boer, B. (2017).
How small could a pup sound? The physical bases of signalling body size in
harbour seals. Current Zoology.

Vocal communication is a crucial aspect of animal behavior. The mechanism which
most mammals use to vocalize relies on three anatomical components. First, air
overpressure is generated inside the lower vocal tract. Second, as the
airstream goes through the glottis, sound is produced via vocal fold vibration.
Third, this sound is further filtered by the geometry and length of the upper
vocal tract. Evidence from mammalian anatomy and bioacoustics suggests that
some of these three components may covary with an animal’s body size. The
framework provided by acoustic allometry suggests that, because vocal tract
length (VTL) is more strongly constrained by the growth of the body than vocal
fold length (VFL), VTL generates more reliable acoustic cues to an animal’s
size. This hypothesis is often tested acoustically but rarely anatomically,
especially in pinnipeds. Here, we test the anatomical bases of the acoustic
allometry hypothesis in harbor seal pups Phoca vitulina. We dissected and
measured vocal tract, vocal folds, and other anatomical features of 15 harbor
seals post-mortem. We found that, while VTL correlates with body size, VFL does
not. This suggests that, while body growth puts anatomical constraints on how
vocalizations are filtered by harbor seals’ vocal tract, no such constraints
appear to exist on vocal folds, at least during puppyhood. It is particularly
interesting to find anatomical constraints on harbor seals’ vocal tracts, the
same anatomical region partially enabling pups to produce individually
distinctive vocalizations.

Thank you
Kind regards,
Andrea

Andrea Ravignani
Veterinary & Research Dpt., Sealcentre Pieterburen
Max Planck Inst. for Psycholinguistics
AI-Lab, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
ravignani.wordpress.com