G’day Marmamers,

My co-authors and I are pleased to have had the following paper published in
Scientific Reports: “Preliminary estimates of the abundance and fidelity of
dolphins associating with a demersal trawl fishery”. The authors are Allen SJ,
Pollock KH, Bouchet PJ, Kobryn HT, McElligott DB, Nicholson KE, Smith JN and
Loneragan NR, and the abstract reads as follows:

The incidental capture of wildlife in fishing gear presents a global
conservation challenge. As a baseline to inform assessments of the impact of
bycatch on bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) interacting with an
Australian trawl fishery, we conducted an aerial survey to estimate dolphin
abundance across the fishery. Concurrently, we carried out boat-based dolphin
photo-identification to assess short-term fidelity to foraging around trawlers,
and used photographic and genetic data to infer longer-term fidelity to the
fishery. We estimated abundance at ≈ 2,300 dolphins (95% CI = 1,247�C4,214)
over the ≈ 25,880-km2 fishery. Mark-recapture estimates yielded 226 (SE = 38.5)
dolphins associating with one trawler and some individuals photographed up to
seven times over 12 capture periods. Moreover, photographic and genetic
re-sampling over three years confirmed that some individuals show long-term
fidelity to trawler-associated foraging. Our study presents the first abundance
estimate for any Australian pelagic dolphin community and documents individuals
associating with trawlers over days, months and years. Without trend data or
correction factors for dolphin availability, the impact of bycatch on this
dolphin population’s conservation status remains unknown. These results should
be taken into account by management agencies assessing the impact of
fisheries-related mortality on this protected species.

This dolphin-fishery interaction research follows on from:
Allen et al. 2014. Patterns of dolphin bycatch in a North-Western Australian
trawl fishery. PLoS ONE 9: e93178, and
Allen et al. 2016. Genetic isolation between coastal and offshore,
fishery-impacted bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops spp.) populations. Molecular
Ecology 25: 2735-2753. doi: 10.1111/mec.13622.
The full citation is: Allen et al. 2017. Preliminary estimates of the abundance
and fidelity of dolphins in a demersal trawl fishery. Scientific Reports 7:
4995. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-05189-0

Go ahead and treat yourself to your very own PDF at
http://rdcu.be/t5Y2<http://em.rdcu.be/wf/click?upn=KP7O1RED-2BlD0F9LDqGVeSP5tQHNT2k-2BDz-2FiwQvChBAw-3D_AIMRe0EZFYpFUxp-2Fpzz7EkJEG96KPe7gxdq6HONtBoNWY-2F46ZM92LpPR4jlDWbwxAEbaGJIGiOPheJJ2pXFnMAtqZAage1rd-2Fc4Vjtg8HPfQjTipHAThqbH8Wtgo0MJ4uoGd-2Fb2AlvN-2BBLahzFj5BE9TIaiO59k7nz-2FWRNEWrjOXMOTJZszzoejcxcBH64spZICqdHmVj04VuyPpvZii4LMt96AAHBZVzZxvPfeGxSk-3D>
All the best and hope to cross paths with many in Halifax.

Kind regards, Simon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simon Allen, PhD
School of Biological Sciences | Oceans Institute
University of Western Australia
Crawley WA 6009

Mob: (61-0) 416 083 653
Email:
simon.al...@uwa.edu.au<applewebdata://006C211F-965E-4B11-879F-544A520C4A7B/s.al...@murdoch.edu.au>
Web1: http://www.sharkbaydolphins.org<http://www.sharkbaydolphins.org/>
Web2: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Simon_Allen2

[cid:FF9965AC-0085-409C-B926-5F807662A1EB]

Recent papers:
Alliance behaviour and mating access in an open social network of bottlenose
dolphins (2017): http://www.nature.com/articles/srep46354
Abundance of tropical inshore dolphins in the Kimberley (2016):
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fmars.2016.00004
Bycatch and population structure of bottlenose dolphins (2016):
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mec.13622/full
Cooperation or ‘tug-of-war’ between dolphins (2016):
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-016-1026-x
North West Cape humpback dolphin demographics (2017):
http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/esr/v32/p71-88