#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Chronicle of Higher Education
Mayhem at Berkeley Hardens New Battle Lines on Free Speech
By Beth McMurtrie FEBRUARY 03, 2017

More than 50 years ago, the University of California at Berkeley became the birthplace of the free-speech movement. Thousands of students protested restrictions on political activity on campus, the university relented, and the state’s future governor, Ronald Reagan, railed against disruptive students and a weak administration.

Echoes of those early conflicts appeared this week following violent protests against a controversial speaker known for his anti-immigration and anti-feminist rhetoric. Berkeley once again became the center of a free-speech debate, this one framed as a conflict between the right to free expression and an imperative to fight hate speech.

As dozens of protesters smashed windows and started fires Wednesday night to stop Milo Yiannopoulos, a Breitbart editor who has been touring college campuses, from taking the stage inside Berkeley’s student union, the chaos was broadcast on national news and lit up social media. President Trump weighed in on Twitter early the next morning:

The Berkeley administration, which had repeatedly resisted requests from students and professors to ban Mr. Yiannopoulos, was quick to respond with a news release condemning the violence and pointing out that the campus "was invaded by more than 100 armed individuals clad in masks and dark uniforms who utilized paramilitary tactics" to shut down the event.

In other words, they were separate from the 1,500 students who the university said had gathered peacefully to protest Mr. Yiannopoulos’s message.

"This is part of what’s called the black bloc group," said Dan Mogulof, a university spokesman, naming an anarchist group that has disrupted peaceful protests in the Bay Area and elsewhere with violence. "They came armed. They came with a clear plan to disrupt. We have no evidence to suggest that any of them were our students."

A number of eyewitnesses supported that conclusion, he said, noting that many of the violent protesters seemed not to know their way around campus or how to get out. The police have made at least one arrest and are reviewing video to identify other suspects.

On social media and elsewhere, however, the narrative of the radical Berkeley student dominated. The Heritage Foundation, the conservative think tank, tweeted out adjacent photos: "1964: Berkeley students march to demand free speech. 2017: Berkeley students riot to demand free speech be denied." Young Americans for Liberty, a conservative student organization, issued a news release claiming that 1,500 protesters threw smoke bombs, damaged property, and started fires, proving, the group said, that "even the most liberal, open-minded campuses in our country harbor intolerance for those that disagree with them."

Breitbart News, which has backed Mr. Yiannopoulos’s "Dangerous Faggot" campus tour, published an article titled "The Night Berkeley Betrayed the Free Speech Movement," finding parallels between the plight of conservatives today and Berkeley activists in the 1960s.

Angus Johnston, a historian of student activism who teaches at the City University of New York’s Hostos Community College, sees parallels, too, but in a different way. The anger that protesters expressed, he says, "is a reflection of the fact that the political system is broken."

Mr. Yiannopoulos, he notes, has been touring college campuses and inciting protests for months. But now that Donald J. Trump is president and Steve Bannon, the former head of Breitbart News, is his chief strategist, Mr. Yiannopoulos "is essentially one handshake away from the presidency," Mr. Johnston says. "So his schtick resonates very differently."

Mr. Johnston also thinks free-speech advocates on the right have whitewashed the 1960s’ protests. When the police attempted to arrest a Berkeley student for handing out civil-rights literature on campus in 1964, thousands of fellow students staged a massive sit-in, preventing the police car from moving.

"Mario Savio, the hero of the free-speech movement, said in his most famous speech that there comes a time when the operation of the system makes you so sick at heart you have to put your body on the gears of the machine," said Mr. Johnston. "I don’t think that principle is such a huge distance away from what we saw last night."

The right has essentially flipped the free-speech argument, Mr. Johnston says. "A lot of protesters perceive, not unfairly, that that cry of free speech is far more often raised against them than in support of them."

Donald P. Moynihan, a professor of public affairs at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, is one of many who think the violent protesters played into the hands of conservatives looking to make the case that colleges are bastions of liberal intolerance. "Their next argument is that they need to do something to fix this problem," he said.

Red Meat for Reagan

When he entered the governor’s race in 1966, Mr. Reagan made the Berkeley protests a centerpiece of his campaign. "Will we allow a great university to be brought to its knees by a noisy dissident minority?" he asked. "Will we meet their neurotic vulgarities with vacillation and weakness?" Within weeks of his election, he helped ensure that Clark Kerr, president of the University of California system, was fired.

Mr. Trump suggested denying federal funds to universities that do not support free speech (see a related article), but possible legislative action in the states is what concerns Mr. Moynihan more. Some state legislators have introduced bills that attempt to regulate expression on campus. "We’ve always had student protests since the 1960s, and colleges survived," he says, "but I don’t think we’ll survive if we have legislatures micromanaging what constitutes free speech on campus."

The Goldwater Institute, a conservative think tank, released model legislation this week for state governments that would punish students at public colleges who shut down speakers on campus. Jim Manley, a senior attorney for the organization, said that if students clearly understand the risks of such protests — including suspension and expulsion — they will be less likely to act. "I’m not going to say this law is a panacea, but I do think it’s important to set free speech and free expression as the primary value of the university."

He praised Berkeley’s administration for defending Mr. Yiannopoulos’s right to speak, and said he was troubled by the fact that some students and professors had asked for the speech to be canceled. One such group argued in a letter to Nicholas B. Dirks, the chancellor, that Mr. Yiannopoulos’s tactics are so provocative — including naming and shaming individuals in videos that would then go viral — that they constitute harassment and potential defamation.

Judith Butler, a Berkeley professor and one of the cosigners of that letter, wrote in an email on Thursday that, while she continues to believe that Mr. Yiannopoulos’s actions should not be considered protected speech, "I deplore the violent tactics of yesterday and so do the overwhelming majority of students and faculty at UC Berkeley."

Hijacked by Anarchists

Avinash Kunnath, a 2010 Berkeley graduate who writes about sports on California Golden Blogs, wrote a post on Thursday that also countered the narrative that students had incited the violence. Anarchists, a familiar presence in the area, were to blame, he said, yet that was not the message aired publicly. "People have taken advantage of the Berkeley spirit of free speech to use it to advance their own agenda for a national audience," he wrote.

In an interview, Mr. Kunnath said that members of the black bloc frequently show up to otherwise-peaceful local protests to cause mayhem. "Really this was just meant to be a protest to express disdain for a certain speaker, and the actions of those people made the message more difficult to go through. They don’t deserve to be lumped in together."

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a free-speech organization, pushed back against Mr. Trump’s argument that Berkeley was preventing free speech and that withholding federal funds could be an appropriate punishment. In a statement, issued Thursday, the group said it had seen no evidence that Berkeley had tried to silence Mr. Yiannopoulos.

"It’s concerning to suggest that a school of tens of thousands of students could effectively be cut off because of the violent acts of a few," Will Creeley, FIRE’s vice president for legal and public advocacy, said in an interview. He praised Berkeley’s administration for its thoughtful handling of campus tensions leading up to the event and said he was disturbed by what President Trump’s remarks could portend.

"If the attention of the president of the United States can be gained by violence, and the president can be prompted to take punitive action against an institution," he said, "it seems to me it sets up a perverse incentive for those who don’t like an administration or a speaker to respond violently. That seems counterproductive and illiberal."

Mr. Johnston, the historian, says colleges should brace for more anger from both the left and the right. "We’re in for a rough ride," he said.

Beth McMurtrie writes about campus culture, among other things. Follow her on Twitter @bethmcmurtrie, or email her at beth.mcmurt...@chronicle.com.