#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Ministry spox made the following comments during Q&A a few days ago (23rd):

To tell the truth, over the past few years we’ve seen many strange things
happen in Washington in connection with preparations for visits or talks by our
foreign ministers. The US Department of State has more than once asked us not
to announce planned visits until the last minute. This is not our tradition. We
have been operating openly for years, but we have respected the requests we
have received from our colleagues in Washington in the past few years. But what
happened after that? First, the US Department of State asked us to keep the
planned visit quiet and not to announce it until the last possible minute,
until we coordinated the date. We did as they asked. But a day or two later the
information was leaked by the US State Department and sometimes by the US
administration. Frankly, this put Russia and the media in a strange situation,
because they didn’t know who to believe – the official agencies or the many
leaks.

It is difficult to say if this diplomatic communication is a US tradition or
the latest technique. But it definitely doesn’t correspond to our traditions.
We believe that everything we coordinate should be made available to the media
in accordance with diplomatic procedure. When we coordinate a visit and the
date for announcing it, the information should be made public calmly and as
agreed. This is what we do in relations with our colleagues from other
countries.

As I said, such cases in our relations with the US Department of State have
become a bad tradition over the past few years. So, I can say in response to
your question that we will make the date and format of contacts between the
Russian and US foreign ministers public after we coordinate them. We won’t keep
them quiet. At this point, I don’t have any information I can share with you. I
can say that this visit and such contacts are possible in principle, but it
would be premature to talk about timeframes.

Also, I would like to say that if the practice of leaking information that
concerns not just the United States but also Russia, which has become a
tradition in Washington in the past few years, continues, there will come a day
when the media will publish leaks about the things that Washington asked us to
keep secret, for example, things that happened  during President Obama’s terms
in office. Believe me, this could be very interesting information.

Our American colleagues must decide if they respect the diplomatic procedure,
if they keep their word on the arrangements made between us, primarily
arrangements made at their own request, or we create a few very nice surprises
for each other.

http://www.mid.ru/ru/foreign_policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/2703372?p_p_id=101_INSTANCE_cKNonkJE02Bw&_101_INSTANCE_cKNonkJE02Bw_languageId=en_GB