#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Whoops the Subject line should have read Communist Manifesto Project YouTube Channel.

It's an addition to my website

https://sites.google.com/site/communistmanifestoproject/

I have centred the website around the Communist Manifesto because I thought it was a good way of helping to bring out the fact that current Marxists have nothing in common with Marx and Engels.

The website includes a little booklet called "Rescuing the Message of The Communist Manifesto: the revolutionary role of capitalism."

https://sites.google.com/site/communistmanifestoproject/files/aug23.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

This is the preamble

In/The Communist Manifesto/of 1848, Marx and Engels place heavy stress on the revolutionary role of capitalism. It drags humanity out of economic and social backwardness, and changes us from peasants into proletarians. By doing this, capitalism removes the only insurmountable obstacle to a classless communist society. Such a society ceases to be pie in the sky, and instead becomes something made possible by historically created conditions. The more that capitalism displaces the old conditions the better the basis for a revolutionary transition.

Present-day anti-capitalists do not share this view, even those who claim to be Marxists. They believe capitalism is destroying a past that should be preserved and is leading us down a path from which we must retreat. Marx and Engels in their day had to contend with similar people, and indeed part of chapter 3 of/The Communist Manifesto/is devoted to them. As with popes and princes, their anti-capitalism is reactionary rather than revolutionary.

At the same time, this message of/The Communist Manifesto /is ignored by those for whom capitalism is the best of all possible worlds. It gets in the way of their "communism has failed" mantra which they base on abortive 20th century revolutions in backward and essentially pre-capitalist regions. This experience in fact only confirms the proposition that communism can only successfully emerge from advanced capitalism. Marx and Engels would not have been surprised by the outcome.

Even while capitalism’s eventual grave digger, the proletariat, continues its fitful slumber, the world still moves forward. Capitalism proceeds on its development path, knocking down obstacles to a more advanced classless society. By mid-century if the uneven and erratic development trajectory of recent decades in poorer countries is maintained we will see considerable progress towards a world where industrial modernity is the norm, a world in which capitalism has run its course and has no future.