#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hello, I wonder if any on this list can provide information on a German-based
foundation, IZA-Institute of Labor Economics. Here is the website:
https://www.iza.org/en/about

They just published an interesting (sounding) study on the role of "Same race"
teachers and educational outcomes, specifically among Black U.S. students (cf.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/study-black-students-from-poor-families-are-more-likely-to-graduate-high-school-if-they-have-at-least-one-black-teacher/ar-BBzBuQy?li=BBnbcA1).
 However, in their description they tout their interests as "building a bridge
between science and society. We want to facilitate the communication of
existing knowledge while at the same time stimulating research to close
knowledge gaps. We see this approach as complementary to purely academic
research. The transfer of scientific knowledge is an important task which has
often been undervalued in traditional research and requires extra efforts."
They also say they are seeking "to achieve a fair balance between individual
wealth and societal wealth. In light of rapidly developing technological
innovations and changing social policy needs, the search for eff
 ective solutions will remain a continuous challenge."

My  interest here is to find on-the-ground background knowledge about their
credibility regarding their findings and their intents regarding the study I
mentioned before about Black students benefiting from Black teachers. I'm sure
some of you may simply think the issue is too much "identity politics". If so,
just ignore the post and go about your business. Those of you who may some
information, I would greatly appreciate it.

MB

[http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBzBuQu.img]<http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/study-black-students-from-poor-families-are-more-likely-to-graduate-high-school-if-they-have-at-least-one-black-teacher/ar-BBzBuQy?li=BBnbcA1>

Study: Black students from poor families are more likely to graduate high
school if they have at least one black
teacher<http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/study-black-students-from-poor-families-are-more-likely-to-graduate-high-school-if-they-have-at-least-one-black-teacher/ar-BBzBuQy?li=BBnbcA1>
www.msn.com
The results are most marked for male African American students from very
low-income families, the Johns Hopkins research finds.

IZA - Institute of Labor Economics<https://www.iza.org/en/about>
www.iza.org
IZA is an independent economic research institute that conducts research in
labor economics and offers evidence-based policy advice on labor market issues.

Manuel Barrera, PhD