#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I've used technical aspects of their papers for my recent work, which is in
quantitative social program evaluation, a field which basically comes from
econometrics. The education stuff I've seen seems on the progressive side
of education economics, such as a paper I've just looked at for technical
reasons but which was about showing the benefits of universal public
pre-school programs. I had the impression they were along the lines of the
Melbourne Institute, which Australians might know as generally housing more
social democratic economists and often examining education, welfare and
social programs. The latter isn't a private institute but a Melbourne
University department. Sure private institutes often have more of a agenda:
as Gary might know the Grattan Institute here has a definite neo-liberal
agenda on education and other areas. IZA seems massive and across many
areas so might be less consistent, and definitely more intellectually sound
than pseudo-academic hard-right propaganda outfits like the Institute of
Public Affairs here. It seems a pretty tenuous link between the labour
market views of a chair and a study on ethnic interactions in the
classroom. From a quick look it seems sound enough and nothing at all to do
with privatising school or attacking education unions. I'd take it on face
value.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Gary MacLennan via Marxism <