#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Sean Illing
What is most unusual about the kind of influence Robert Mercer has had over our political process in general and Donald Trump in particular?

Jane Mayer
Mercer holds a lot of highly eccentric views on issues such as the positive health benefits of being exposed to nuclear radiation. He’s argued, for instance, that there was a silver lining to the atomic bomb damage in Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Outside of the immediate blast zone, he believes, the Japanese benefitted from the low-level radiation. There’s no support for this theory, according to the National Academy of Sciences.

In my view, it is alarming that someone with such unscientifically supported views concerning the ostensible upside of nuclear war would be as close as he is to the president of the United States. More generally, it’s obviously great to have a variety of opinions, and all kinds of eccentrics in the United States. But what’s not so great is when people whose views would disqualify them from ever getting elected manage to wield power all the same, simply because they have enough money to buy influence.

full: http://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/4/7/15105712/donald-trump-jane-mayer-robert-mercer-steve-bannon-republican-party