#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

In 1950, Smith’s so-called Christian Nationalist Party held their annual three-day conference in downtown Los Angeles at the old Trinity Auditorium (which still stands today). Using a pseudonym, international fugitive Francis Parker Yockey was one of the featured speakers at the conference.

From the podium, Yockey delivered what he would later describe as “a tremendous speech” to the 3,000-plus attendees. The substance of his oration was that the Nuremberg Trials in Germany were a “sham,” that thousands of “white Christian Germans” had been convicted “without trial,” that “Jews control the world today,” and that “we will have a Nuremberg trial in this country someday.” The speech and the convention itself went unreported, save for a paid display ad in the Times. Generally, the Los Angeles press had long decided to “quarantine” the fire-breathing bigot Smith and his comrades from any news coverage.

full: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-fascist-and-the-preacher-gerald-l-k-smith-and-francis-parker-yockey-in-cold-war-era-los-angeles/

---

(Leo Frumkin was a long-time member of the SWP who was expelled along others in the early 80s for defending Trotskyism.)

While commentators denounce and rebut Donald Trump’s proposal to ban all Muslims from entering the United States, some will remember that 70 years ago, another battle against bigotry, as well as anti-Semitism and what the media called “fascism,” was waged by Jewish and Black teenagers on the streets of Los Angeles.

In November 1945, when anti-Semitic agitator Gerald L.K. Smith, a man the B’nai B’rith Messenger referred to as the “Little Fuehrer,” was given a permit by the Los Angeles School Board to speak at Los Angeles Polytechnic High School, a group of Jewish teenagers — many from Roosevelt High School in Boyle Heights — was among the organizers of a school walkout to protest the actions of the school board.

“We were just radical kids,” Leo Frumkin, one of the leaders of the student walkout, recalled in a recent interview. We were “just fresh coming out of the second world war, with the atrocities that we heard about. There was a guy who was a fascist, and that’s what we were objecting to,” said Frumkin, who was 17 in 1945 and a senior at Roosevelt High.

full: http://jewishjournal.com/tag/gerald-l-k-smith/