#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Patrick Bond wrote:

> Superb, but I hope the next part(s) address the strategic question of
> stripping away capitalist support from Trump, by invoking invoking
> climate sanctions against US goods and services. There is talk of this
> strategy from Naomi Klein, Joseph Stiglitz and a few far-sighted
> capitalists, and the largest European eco-network (EEB) also just called
> for a carbon tariff against the US. (I know your strong opposition to
> relying on 'market-based strategies' such as a carbon tax and generally
> I agree - but this is different.)

 Thanks, Patrick, for the comments. As far as climate sanctions against US
goods and services, I'm not sure what you have in mind. Are you imagining
that the EU as a whole, or individual countries, will impose an environmental
tariff on US goods and services? Or is the plan that there will be pressure
for institutions to divest from US companies? Or to boycott American goods
and services? All goods and services, or just ones which aren't judged to be
making the progress they would be if the US hadn't declared that it was
leaving the Paris Accord (and if so, how would one judge that)? Would there
be any comparison between the carbon content of American goods and services
and that of the alternate ones which would replace them? Are the sanctions to
be only against the withdrawal from the Paris Accord, or for the many steps
of the Trump administration against the environment?

 When the plan is better formulated, it could be evaluated more concretely.
For now, it doesn't seem very realistic to me. It may seem analogous to BDS
in form, but I don't think it actually is. It seems to me that the hope that
the other capitalists will institute sanctions against Trump over the issue
of the environment is mainly a product of despair, reminiscent of Hansen  and
Monbiot turning to nuclear. I'm sorry to hear that Naomi Klein is considering
this. I think her book "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs the Climate"
was a real contribution to the movement, and it talked about some important
things, such as the collaboration of Big Green with the energy corporations,
that are not usually mentioned. But this new strategy seems to me like a
reversion, for the time being, to "This Changes Nothing".

 Presently the left pole in the environmental movement, despite many
important and dedicated actions against pipelines and on other issues, has
limited strength. And the situation is really dangerous, as the time is
running out for preventing drastic climactic change. So there is pressure to
look for quick remedies.  But the political realities and the class
alignments don't change just because the situation is dangerous. We need to
work to build up a truly working-class wing of the environmental movement.
We need to work to build the left pole of the environmental movement up, in
strength, in its class character, and in its program. The fate of the
environmental movement depends on how far the left can strengthen itself as
well as on when market fundamentalism finally cracks.

 There is also the issue of the Paris Accord itself.  Your powerful article
on it back in December 2015 characterized it as "implicit terrorism by carbon
addicts". This doesn't mean that activists should boycott protests against
Trump's withdrawal from the Accord, which is a rallying point for explicit
terrorism against the environment. But a strategy of expecting very much from
the green-talking wing of the carbon addicts seems futile to me. If we really
want to fight global warming, we have to bear in mind that this fight must go
beyond the Paris Accord, and we must do our best to bring forward demands
that go beyond simply condemning withdrawal from the Accord. We shouldn't
boycott anti-Trump environmental actions because of the domination of those
who don't go beyond the Accord or of establishment environmentalism, but we
need to patiently strive to have the movement go beyond the Paris Accord and
the sham environmentalism of the carbon (and fracking) addicts.