#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The rightwing imbecile David Brooks cites the late French Marxist sociologist Pierre Bourdieu as an expert on how "cultural capital" allows one class to dominate another. This is a follow-up to his ridiculous op-ed piece on how he took an old friend who only had a high-school degree to a panini sandwich shop but she felt so intimated by sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” with ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette that he took her to a Mexican restaurant instead.

What's missing from Brooks's think pieces is the real class division in American society--those who own the means of production and those who sell their labor power to survive. People like me with a college degree might have "cultural capital" but we have zero power to shut down a factory or declare war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/opinion/inequality-pierre-bourdieu.html