#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Me too.

But I think the NZ ruling class wants them.  They want two main parties,
with smaller coalition parties, to ensure stability.

That means National and Labour.

But Labour could continue to decline - at present they are losing support
to both the Greens and NZ First.  Winston Peters knows this is his best
shot, he's in his early 70s and is going all out for NZF.  I think he is
targeting Labour's vote in the provinces.  The fact that he personally won
Northland, which is mainly a poor regional area, and just totally thrashed
Labour (it was a National Party seat) indicates that he and his party can
beat Labour in the provinces, plus he's economically a bit to the left of
Labour.  Ironically, his bid for support in 'the regions' is probably
having the effect of toning down his anti-immigrant policies.  Small town
and provincial NZ is crying out for people; they want immigrants and they
don't care much whether the immigrants come from East Asia, Britain,
Australia, wherever (ie they don't care about their skin colour).

I think there has been a sea-change in NZ on attitudes to immigration.  The
attempt by Labour and New Zealand First to see who can be anti-immigrant
(well, in particular anti-Chinese) has not got Labour any traction - if
anything it's put people off them.  John Key used to poke the borax at
Labour as a bunch of "xenophobes" (which is true).  The National Party is
far less racist in terms of immigration than Labour (including the Labour
left).