Maybe this will help, somebody sent me this tip and it solved my problem.

============

Hi David,

As of last night I solved my Half-Life, Quake 2, and Sin error message
problems. Maybe this will help you.

It was a network driver problem.  I found the solution on Activion's Quake
2 site, in their FAQ.  It was the #1 problem in the FAQ...:

www.activision.com

I was really skeptical about their solution, since it only appeared in
Quake 2 games, but I tried it anyhow.  I couldn't believe it, but by
updating all my "generic PCI ethernet" network drivers *all* my problems
went away, including slow FTP performance, slow HTTP performance,
intermittent Age of Empires, and the whole bit.

The basic problem (which they don't really describe) is that if you are
using a RealTek 8029 PCI network card (which turns out to be a large number
of the "generic" PCI network cards out there in the world, including mine),
there is a built-in driver in Windows 98.  However, the built-in Windows 98
driver is not the right one.  If you do have a RealTek compatible network
card, download the latest 8029(AS) PCI drivers from www.realtek.com.tw.

The reason this happened when I switched all the network cards was that I
had *one* machine on the network with this cruddy driver, and it was
causing all the problems in the world for the rest of my LAN.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if this will help you, but it sure helped me.

Aloha,

David