At 15:48 -0600 2/12/99, Lourdes A Jones wrote:

>Yes, I have.  When I asked about it on a different list, I was recommended
>to block 6000:6007 since then I've never seen a problem.  The explanation
>was that some (not all) recent Xservers listen on 6000:6007.  (I don't
>remember which of the commercial servers I was trying out at the time.)

I believe that the TCP port used by an X server is 6000 + Display#. For a
typical workstation installation, the X server is display 0 and the port is
6000. That's what you get when you use 'wksta.domain.com:0' for DISPLAY=.

I have seen a system with an X server installed as display 1 (addressed as
wksta.domain.com:1) listening on port 6001. It was NOT listening on port
6000 at the time. It did NOT have a server for display 0.

--
Mike Casteel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Seattle, WA