It would seem to me to be such a myriad of factors that one needs much more
baseline data to make such an extrapolation, eg. increases in young people
when school is not in session; are there persons who use the park as a
pedestrian thoroughfare to/from work.  Are there running trails where for
some fitness devices are in play?  You get the idea.

With this limited information, I would suggest a random survey of persons
in the park at various times/uses to ascertain wifi use compared with
visitors, compare that with connections seen to try to model
extrapolation.  Short of that level of effort, I might see if there is a
way to photograph wide enough swarths the park at various times to do
person counts which could be mapped against unique clients.

I know this seems a litte old-schoo/brute force.

This also presumes your friend has contacted those who manage wifi access
at other (analogous enough) parks to see if they have made such studies.

Hope this helps or stirs the conversation.