There are plenty of different apps for iOS and Android that will allow you
to create interactive ‘presentations’ that can be run on kiosks or you can
use something like Kiosk Pro (http://www.kioskproapp.com) and author your
content as HTML and lock down the device.

In terms of devices, define affordable :-). If you can stretch to iPads
then you can get the new iPad for $329. You can get Android tablets cheaper
but just make sure you test them out first and see if they work for what
you want. Quality varies widely but check AliExpress for some options -
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-Android-tablet.html?site=glo&initiative_id=SB_20170402135023&SearchText=Android+tablet&CatId=200216621&isrefine=y

Cheers
Glen Barnes
Founder/CEO