Hi –

Here is the text we have placed on our intranet site to inform our staff about
this legislation and encourage their advocacy.

Best,

Scott

Title/Subject: Have your voice heard on the future of Net Neutrality – July
17th deadline

The FCC is in the process of changing the rules regarding net neutrality in a
way that could have a negative impact on individuals and organizations that
develop, deliver and access web content, particularly rich media (video, audio
and large images, etc.). While the long-term implications of eliminating net
neutrality are unclear, this change will allow internet service providers “ISP”
like (Spectrum, ComCast, ATT, Verizon, etc.) to give bandwidth preferences
(speed of access) to content of their choice (programming from which they
generate revenue); currently all content is given equal bandwidth.  For
organizations like museums,  Implications could be limited bandwidth for
accessing our online resources or having to pay ISPs to maintain our current
level of delivery and access. Implications for consumers could be new
limitations placed on the speed and quality with which different sources of
content are delivered based on their ISP.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is taking public comments on this
change through July 17th. The Museum will be submitting comments to the FCC and
a letter to our representatives supporting the continuation of current Net
Neutrality law.

Individuals are encouraged to share their thoughts with the FCC

Via https://dearfcc.org/

You are also encouraged to voice your opinion with your local representatives
prior to the early August vote.

Senators https://www.senate.gov/general/contacting.htm
<https://www.senate.gov/general/contacting.htm>
Representatives http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
<http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/>

If you would like to learn more about this potential change there are many
articles available on the web.

Here are a few:

Summary of the bill

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/331012-what-killing-net-neutrality-means-for-the-internet

<http://thehill.com/policy/technology/331012-what-killing-net-neutrality-means-for-the-internet>
Simple explanation

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/upshot/a-super-simple-way-to-understand-the-net-neutrality-debate.html

<https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/upshot/a-super-simple-way-to-understand-the-net-neutrality-debate.html>
Potential impact on small organizations and not-for-profits

http://www.limeredstudio.com/net-neutrality-and-what-it-means-for-your-nonprofit/

<http://www.limeredstudio.com/net-neutrality-and-what-it-means-for-your-nonprofit/>

Scott Sayre | Chief Digital Officer |Corning Museum of Glass | One Museum Way |
Corning, NY 14830 | www.cmog.org <>
Office: (607) 438-5298  |Cell: (612) 423-9691 | Twitter: @zbartrout | Skype:
@zbarscott