The OEM/pre-staged media scenario in ConfigMgr is explicitly for this scenario:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/osd/deploy-use/create-an-image-for-an-oem-in-factory-or-a-local-depot.

It doesn't cover local re-images though - and yes, you will still need those -
but it does leverage the same items.

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Ross, Chris
Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:39 AM
To: mdtosd@lists.myITforum.com
Subject: [MDT-OSD] Creating Windows Images for distributor install

Hi,

My company is looking at leveraging a service our hardware reseller offers
which is to preload our OS to any hardware we purchase.  Does anybody have any
experience with this?  Any pitfalls I should be aware of?  Right now I have a
lot of questions swirling in my head about how this would change what we do
today and changes needed to support this going forward.

Today we use Microsoft MDT/SCCM for our imaging and I think I'd still need to
maintain all this infrastructure in the event a system OS is unrecoverable and
would need to be reimaged.  Or would my better option be to create an image
file that also contains a recovery partition like OEMs do?  My worry about that
though is that the recovery image would become stale very quickly.  The way I
see it I'd need to support our current imaging strategy for reimaging, or
modify it greatly to move to an image setup that mimics closely that of an OEM.

Questions I have are about how to handle the domain join, Windows Updates,
anti-virus updates, additional software updates like say Adobe Flash/Reader
updates on the first time start-up of the system after it has been imaged?  Is
there a way to create a dynamic unattend.xml to handle domain join based on
network location?   Or would I be better off dumping everything to staging OU
and then using say Maik Koster's web service (or similar) to handle this?  I
handle all that right now in a task sequence with the Microsoft tools and can
get away with updating my gold image a few times a year; with preloading I
think I'd need to keep updating my gold images at least every month to few
months to keep on top of Windows Updates.  What about additional application
layering?  We're doing some group based deployments and using the Application
Catalog from SCCM.  Would I really be saving a lot of time using distributor OS
installs?

Basically the ask of me is to our get a solution in place where we can order
equipment, have our reseller apply our corporate image and once the system is
received by us it is ready to go with as little downtime or human interaction
from our support teams as possible.  With the ultimate goal being we can ship
direct to an employee in one of our branch offices from the reseller and all
they need to do is turn the system on and away they go.

Does anybody have any experience at this or can offer ideas on how best to
approach this?

Thanks,
Chris

________________________________
This communication, including any attached documentation, is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential,
personal, and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying,
or taking action on the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please contact us immediately so we may correct our
records. Please then delete or destroy the original transmission and any
subsequent reply. Thank you.

La présente communication, y compris toute pièce qui y a été jointe, est
destinée uniquement à la personne ou à l'entité à laquelle elle a été adressée,
et contient des renseignements à caractère confidentiel et personnel. Toute
diffusion ou reproduction non autorisée ou toute intervention entreprise
relativement à son contenu est strictement interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce
message par erreur, veuillez nous le signaler immédiatement afin que nous
puissions effectuer la correction à nos dossiers. Veuillez par la suite
supprimer ou détruire le contenu de la transmission originale ainsi que toute
réponse ultérieure. Merci.