Hi all,

As some of you know, we have a governance draft for Mer, which I think
it's about time we put it into action. It can be read at
http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Governance_draft - we've had a bit of
ad-hoc governance until now.

However, we have a bit of a bootstrapping problem as we rely on the
composition and existence of technical leaders and maintainers and
interest groups to create the advisory board and without advisory
board we can't nominate technical leaders and maintainers.

As per privilege of project founder (the only time I'll ever use
that), I'd like to propose the following based on what I can observe
in the community of activity surrounding Mer:

* Begin with a initial advisory board of 5 participants, 2 interest
group representatives, 1 architect, 1 technical lead, 1 maintainer

* To formally describe two interest groups for bootstrapping as
they've been the most active around Mer, each selecting a
representative for the advisory board:
- Nemo Mobile (http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo)
- Plasma Active (http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active)

If anybody else want to register as an interest group in Mer, for
example if you're a company, a group of individuals, or group of
companies, or a open source project based on Mer, you're welcome to
contact this list to indicate your interest.

* To have Carsten Munk/Stskeeps (me) make a meritocratic claim as
interim Project Architect, based on my project contributions and
architectural & project guidance up to now.

* To have David Greaves/lbt make a meritocratic claim as interim
Systems & Vendor Relations Technical Lead, based on contribution to
Mer infrastructure and vendor interface/philosophy up to now.

* To have Marko Saukko/Sage make a meritocratic claim as interim
Packages Maintainer (better title to be selected), due to extensive
contribution to the Mer Core (see http://review.merproject.org ,
All->Merged)

This would put the advisory board to the following structure:

* Architect: Carsten Munk
* Nemo Mobile Representative
* Plasma Active Representative
* Technical leads Representative 1: David Greaves
* Technical leads Representative 2: not chosen yet
* Maintainer Representative 1: Marko Saukko
* Maintainer Representative 2: not chosen yet

First items on the agenda for the new Advisory board would be to:
* Confirm project governance model as official project governance
* Discuss and probably re-confirm meritocratic claims and instate them
in that position officially
* Establish length of advisory board terms, initial proposal is two months
* Establish schedule of advisory board meeting, initial proposal is
once a month.
* Establish if there's any nominations needed for remaining Technical
Lead and Maintainer Representative positions
* Any other business, such as proposed items by project members,
project direction, requirements, needs, nominations, etc

If anyone has any objections to this model or direction, please
discuss it on this mailing list, else the idea is that the proposal
goes into effect at 31 January 2012, with first Advisory Board meeting
on 1 February 2012.

BR
Carsten Munk
Mer project founder