thanks to Alex Kruppa for suggesting a better modification to the
beginning of a "GIMPS theme song": "GCD, FFT, PRIME!"  (say each
letter separately, singing to mickey mouse theme song tune.)

Mary, thanks for pointing out that prime95 counts cycles rather than
wall time, so that it will not be obvious when cpu throttles back.

Brian, please no more two or three colo[u]r LEDs to indicate status of
cpu throttle or anything else.  almost 10% of humans has trouble
distinguishing colo[u]rs, not to mention the large percentage who
don't even know how to spell the word "colour" properly!  for some of
us it is practically impossible to distinguish red/yellow/green on an
LED, especially when they are flashing.  this is often a "showstopper"
problem for me when working with computer/networking/lab devices - i
have to find another way to determine the device status, or go find
someone who can see colors properly.

also, it is good to know that you had a toshiba satellite laptop
running for 3 years with no fan failure...  but i doubt i will restart
prime95 on my wife's toshiba laptop any year soon!  and your point is
very well taken that a "low end" cpu chip can handle overclocking
better than a "high end" one.  for example, the 1.5Ghz P4 could
probably handle it better than the 2Ghz.  yes, this was an expensive
lesson for me to learn empirically!  i thought i was on safe ground
due to the supposed thermal protection in the P4, even though i did
not have intel motherboard.  live and learn.

further, as for the stated limits, the Asus utility program does some
sort of CPU-probe, and it detected the 2Ghz P4 and said that it could
be clocked anywhere from 2Ghz to 2.4Ghz!  so what is that about?!?
either way, i don't expect intel to replace the cpu and today am
planning to pay $280 for a 1.8 Ghz P4 as a replacement.  btw, the
motherboard was never at 90C, it was the
motherboard-cpu-temp-threshold that was set to 90C that was
triggering.  i don't know if i did anything bad to the voltage
regulator with my 5% overclocking...

if you or anyone did not see the facetiousness in my "blaming" prime95
for slaying computers, i'll be more clear: prime95 is not at fault for
any of these things.  i did all these things with full knowledge of
possible risks.  thus i am the moron, not prime95!  prime95 is clearly
imbued with genius (seriously).  btw, i have driven over nails before
and did not blame my gasoline supplier.  once i drove over a harvard
students keychain and destroyed a tire.  but unfortunately i missed
the harvard student.

i agree with everyone about on/off cycles being damaging to much
computer equipment - especially hard drives.  i've always set the
power management so the drives always spin when AC power is available.

Alan, thanks for the idea about pcmcia fan.  i had not known
those were available.  very cool idea.

it is great emailing with all of you folks and participating in the
GIMPS project too.

a happy & safe 2002 to you all,

/eli