Mersenne Digest     Wednesday, December 10 2003     Volume 01 : Number 1096

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 20:25:19 +0000
From: Tony Forbes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Generalized Mersenne Numbers

Brian J. Beesley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Congratulations on the (unverified) discovery of the 40th Mersenne Prime.
>
>I was thinking (always dangerous!) about generalizing Mersenne numbers. The
>obvious generalization a^n-1 is uninteresting because they're all composite
>whenever a>2 and n>1. However there is an interesting generalization:
>
>Define GM(a,b) = a^b-(a-1), so GM(2,b) = M(b); also GM(a,1) = 1 for all a
>
>The distribution of primes amongst GM(a,b) for small a > 2 and small b does
>seem to be interesting - some values of a seem to yield a "richer" sequence
>of primes than others. Note also that, in this generalization, some
>_composite_ exponents can yield primes.
>
>Another interesting point: the "generalized Mersenne numbers" seem to be
>relatively rich in numbers with a square in their factorizations - whereas
>Mersenne numbers proper are thought to be square free. (Or is that just
>Mersenne numbers with prime exponents?)
>
>A few interesting questions:
>
>(a) Is there a table of status of "generalized Mersenne numbers" anywhere?

Some time ago I had a look at numbers of the form 2^n - 3, i.e. GM(4,
n/2). Here are my results for 3320 <= n <= 16800:

2^n - 3 is a verified prime for n = 3954, 5630, 6756, 8770, 10572,
14114.

2^n - 3 is a probable prime for n = 14400, 16460, 16680.

I don't know if someone else has verified the last three. Also

2^12819 - 7 (GM(8, 4273)) is a probable prime,

2^8824 - 15 (GM(16, 2206)) is a verified prime.

The verified primes were done by factorization of N+1 and N-1, and
APRCL.

- --
Tony