[John R Pierce]
 > I see a bit of confusion here...   There are two distinctly
 > different kinds
 > of clustering in common use... High Performance, and High
 > Availability.

 Umm... How is that different from what I wrote? I didn't use the
 acronyms, but so what? There is no need for either HA or HP clustering
 with Prime95, which I illustrated fairly clearly. *I'm* not confused
 about cluster architectures at all; I administer both HA and HP cluster
 architectures in my own company.
 So I have to ask, John: Other than illustrating that you've read a
 clustering whitepaper once in your life, what was the point of your
 message? Don't call me "confused" and then repeat my message in a nearly
 verbatim manner!

I was attempting to clarify the clustering terminology for the general audience out here, not correcting you, I'm sorry I didn't word my prologue better. I should have stated something more like "To clarify what Ryan said...." As the initial question was rather vague, I thought some further explanations might be appropriate.

I recently did some research into clustering technology for a project at my company, and at first found myself confused, coming at it from outside, until I got a grasp on the two distinctly different clustering techniques (in my case, what we needed was the high availability sort, but my first contact with clustering software was the wrong sort entirely, and as I didn't understand the distinction I wasted a few weeks investigating the high performance stuff instead).

The problem was, in my case at least, the people I first talked with were from the scientific market, and they just referred to them as 'clusters' without the 'high perf' or 'high availability' qualifier.

BTW, I've done a *bit* more than read clustering whitepapers, I've configured and built a couple of prototype clusters, one a small linux "Oscar" high perf cluster to see how that stuff all works with MPI and so forth, then a Veritas Cluster with a pair of Solaris systems to evaluate how the high availability failover stuff could work with respect to our application... This by no means makes me an expert in this, as these were simplistic first pass evaluations, not production experience, but it does give me some basic insight into how an outsider might misunderstand clustering technologies.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

-john r pierce