Hi,

sure. But please be aware this was the tinker/hack'n'slash way that I did
just to gain understanding if or not it is possible in the first
place. Aka The fun way ;-)

(I think more proper way would be getting the meta-qt5 up and running
with XCB + understanding
the "x11 visual" <--> "EGL" color depth incompatibility issue. With
Eric's patch the Qt built for XCB but then there is still
the color depth issue and lack of qmake to compile Qt things. And also
with the patch I think the
Qt was configured slightly "wrong" in a sense that XCB QPA uses GLX
instead of EGL).

1) downloaded the fsl community yocto project and checked out
master-next branches of "meta-fsl-arm", "meta-fsl-arm-extra", and
"poky"

2) to be on the safe side I modified the poky.conf under the poky to
rid the wayland. Not sure if this was necessary:
-POKY_DEFAULT_DISTRO_FEATURES = "largefile opengl multiarch wayland"
+POKY_DEFAULT_DISTRO_FEATURES = "largefile opengl multiarch x11"

3) bitbaked the project. I baked the fsl-image-gui (next time I would
try/check the core-image-x11). So the usual
MACHINE=nitrogen6x source setup-environment build
bitbake fsl-image-gui

4.1) once built I ripped the "eglvivante.h" file found under
sysroots/nitrogen6x/usr/include/EGL
In essence the file has a main level #ifdef logic to see which EGL
definitions to use.
Because we are building the Qt "outside" the defines are not correct
and you will end up with wrong
EGL definitions. So delete all other except the X11 #ifdef branches
(starting below /* X11 platform */ -comment).
Alternatively I guess you could add appropriate defines to your Qt's
.pro files somewhere.
The resulting file is quite small (< 70 lines). If you don't do this
the first likely symptom is something like
error: cannot convert 'Display* {aka _XDisplay*}' to
'EGLNativeDisplayType {aka _FBDisplay*}' and now you know roughly why.

4) downloaded Qt 5 pretty much as in the instructions:
https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94066
But don't do the configure just yet.

5) modified the Qt a bit

5.1) Turned on the hard floats by adding
DISTRO_OPTS += hard-float
/qtbase/mkspecs/devices/linux-imx6-g++/qmake.conf
To know this was effective later when configuring Qt you should see
"-mfloat-abi=hard" in the g++ command. If you don't see it _AND_ the
all of Qt configure tests fail this is a likely cause.
This may work the other way around too, really depends if your sysroot
abi is hard / soft float.

5.2) Brute-forced the egl - x visual compatibility issue by tweaking
the file under qtbase:

src/platformsupport/eglconvenience/qxlibeglintegration.cpp
the function
VisualID QXlibEglIntegration::getCompatibleVisualId(Display *display, EGLDisplay
to return
-    return (VisualID)0;
+    return (VisualID)33;

6) Configured Qt

This of course comes in many flavors but this was my line:
./configure  -v -opensource -confirm-license -no-pch -qpa xcb -qt-xcb -no-eglfs
             -no-kms -no-linuxfb -no-directfb  -opengl es2 -make libs
-make examples
             -device imx6 -device-option
CROSS_COMPILE=/home/tummeli/yocto/fsl-master-next/build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-
             -sysroot
/home/tummeli/yocto/fsl-master-next/build/tmp/sysroots/nitrogen6x
             -prefix /home/tummeli/nx6-xcb-inst

7) make, make installed Qt

8) deployed Qt on the device

There are many ways to do this but I used simple "scp" as I don't
currently have TFTP sysroot nor use rootfs as build sysroot.
You need to copy three things and set environment variables
accordingly on the device. If you copy stuff to Qt default
locations then the environment variables are not needed. You will find
the below stuff under sysroot whereever you set the "-prefix".

- Qt libs (libQt5*so.5) at lib/* --> LD_LIBRARY_PATH
- Qt plugins (QPAs, bearer management, ...) at plugins/* --> QT_PLUGIN_PATH
- Qml plugins (if needed) at qml/* --> QML2_IMPORT_PATH

9) Run the apps!

scp your app on the device and run, for example
DISPLAY=:0 ./analogclock

Note: on first time after boot none of the Qt apps show anything and
there is an XCB error:
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 146 (Unknown), sequence: 156, resource id:
0, major code: 139 (Unknown), minor code: 20
Kill the app and all subsequent runs for all Qt apps will work.  Any
thoughts / help in this area would be highly
appreciated!

cheers,
Juha