Hi Anne, Sterling, Norm, Aubrey, Dieter, all

Sterling, thanks so very much for your first compilation on world tektite masses/sizes and for your further comments (in the mail that just arrived and that I am copying heredown to complete this preliminary "debate").
The site related to vietnamese tektites is particularly informative.

Now here is my own information regarding tektites from Vietnam (sorry but I preferred not to mention it before I read your own comments supposing I could perhaps influence your thoughts/data)

I was extremely lucky to acquire very recently a "giant" (killer) tektite, not from Dalat but from the Northern part of Vietnam. It was brought to me 3 weeks ago by a friend prospector who spent weeks through the whole country for a separate business but with a side mission to possibly discover some tektite with "out of standard" characteristics.

That "killer'" is a "flat dumbbell"-like dish as described in the vietnamese paper cited by Sterling, resembling the "sample with a painted N° 30" on figure 2.
Its weight is perhaps what is the most surprising: 705.8 grams!
I did not check the density (yet).
It has a neat black clean, almost shiny and undamaged surface on both sides, with a thin stripe crossing the "dish" in its middle, possibly somewhat related to a particular Anda-type texture.

It was said to have been found in 2006 in a specific place, North from Hanoi.
I have got pics of the supplier with the "dish" in his hands and also have a genuine label (text) in vietnamese characters giving further details on how and where exactly it was found. Its purchase price, also rather on the "killer" side, more reflects the weight than the shape or morphology of the tektite, that are actually not at all odd. Obviously the supplier was aware of its potential value...

I was hoping that this tektite could perhaps be the biggest from Vietnam or perhaps even from "Indochina" (including Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia....and why not South China), obviously excluding the layered Muong Nongs (for which I agree with Sterling for an over 12 kg reported record). Only future will tell if it is so.

Through this post I wanted to encourage everybody to report further interesting data on world tektites, raleted or not to their weight. And perhaps we could build a weight compilation characterizing the biggest tektites from every country or strewnfield. I believe this could be another challenge of our list.

Again, warm thanks to all!

Cheers,

Zelimir