Good morning --

Earlier today, I tried applying the update for PSTricks from 2.78 (27-Nov-17 build date) to 2.80a (31-Dec-2017 build date), and doing so caused a consistent and 'fatal' compile error:

c:\users\me\Desktop\text\MiktTex\tex\generic\pstricks\pstrick.tex
! Undefined control sequence
l.31 \if@check@engine

After reverting back to 2.78, compilation proceeded normally. When I diff'd the code in pstrick.tex, the only difference (that seems related to the issue is) in the new code, there is an additional line for \if@check@engine

\if@check@engine
  \ifx\c@lor@to@ps\@undefined
    \def\c@lor@to@ps{\PSTricks_Not_Configured_For_This_Format}% message for a pdflatex run
  \fi
\fi

Here is the old code for comparison:

\ifx\c@lor@to@ps\@undefined
  \def\c@lor@to@ps{\PSTricks_Not_Configured_For_This_Format}% message for a pdflatex run
\fi

So, something about the newly inserted command, \if@check@engine, is causing compile fails.

For the moment, the solution is to revert back to old pstricks.