Dear mksh developers,

A customer of ours is migrating from ksh-93 to mksh. They reported the
following difference in behavior:

ksh-93:
$ echo X | read A
$ echo $A

mksh:
$ echo X | read A
$ echo $A

So mksh behaves the same as for example bash, in that changes to the
environment of the right side of a pipe aren't reflected into the main
process. That difference breaks the customer's scripts.

I would like to ask if this is:

1* A deliberate design decision, and this will never change.

2* A bug, mksh should behave the same as ksh-93 in this respect.

3* Something that was not discussed so far, so status is unknown.

Additionally, unless answer is 2 above, I would be grateful if you could
suggest an alternative way to achieve the same with mksh. I know how I
would do it with bash, but I don't know what mksh is capable of.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support