Stephane Chazelas dixit:

>The reason seems to be because the shell records the value
>returned by gettimeofday() upon start-up and upon expanding
>$SECONDS but only consideres the "seconds" fields when
>substracting the two times, ignoring the microsecond field.

The microsecond field is not usually filled in, especially
on systems that lack gettimeofday(2).

>bash and zsh behave like mksh (I'll raise the issue there as
>well).

Really, considering pdksh behaved like this too, and that
it doesn’t work cross-platform, I’m not going to bother
changing this (even though your patch is technically good).

We have only one place with more than second precision
in mksh: $EPOCHREALTIME

>With zsh (like in ksh93), one can do "typeset -F SECONDS" to
>make $SECONDS floating point, which can be used as a work around

mksh does not do floating point.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Stéphane, I actually don’t block Googlemail, they’re just too utterly
stupid to successfully deliver to me (or anyone else using Greylisting