On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:37:32AM -0200, Marcus Andree wrote:
> On 10/25/07, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've tried to run 5 QEMU guests simultanously but when trying to start
> > the 5th I'll get the following error message:
> >
> > warning: could not open /dev/tun7 (No such file or directory): no
> > virtual network emulation
> > Could not initialize device 'tap'
> >
> > I have no idea why it looks for /dev/tun7 but after that I cd'ed to /dev
> > and issued the command "./MAKEDEV tun4" but now I get the following
> > message when starting qemu:
> >

> <snip>
>
> Maybe you'll have to compile a new kernel. There's an options(4) option
> called tun. I had to add something like
>
> pseudo-device   tun   16
>
> on a kernel config file once. If I remember correctly, the default is the
> kernel
> to allocate 4 tun channels. That would explain why it's failing in the 5th
> QEMU
> guest.
>
> Don't forget that customized kernels aren't "supported".

This is no longer true. tun(4) can be auto generated without issues.
The only thing you need to make sure is that the /dev nodes exist.

I'm running multiple qemu sessions with up to 20 tun interfaces without
issues but I'm not using if-up at all. I'm passing fds to qemu with
-net tap,vlan=$id,fd=$fd

--
:wq Claudio