Title: Tribune

Issue 411: August 29th, 2008   News, Rants and Case Studies for Web Design Professionals

Introduction

Brendon SinclairPart of the ideal business situation would have to be a continuous line of prospects beating a path to your door. If you can achieve this with minimal effort and low costs, then you're well on your way to owning your own jet! We'll look at some of the new services available--including a new SitePoint initiative for web professionals--that could just help you achieve this goal.

In this week's Tribune, I'll deviate from the Marketplace to discuss the most efficient way to handle thorny clients. This is one of those things you learn through hard experience, and I hope you can use my advice--because it's easier said than done.

Moving on, we look at a type of client you might target even if they may not seem profitable in the first instance. Their own profitability is not the point--read on to find out why.

We'll finish off with a very cost-effective tool that is not only useful, but makes you look every inch the winner AND will increase your profitability without question. Check out this worthwhile site below.

Happy reading!

Brendon

Brendon Sinclair
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Top

Become Your Own Advertising Agency with tyBit's Advertising Value Added Reseller Program (AdVAR)

* Get 20% commission for advertising on accounts you manage
* Get 30 - 40% commission for tyBit searches from your website
* Get a FREE domain name of your choice
* Set up your own Campaign Management terms with your clients
* Allows your clients to advertise locally, nationally, or globally
* Advertise using Pay-Per-Click (PPC) or Global Keyword Registry
* Ability to create text, audio, or video ads that will be served based on keyword

Find out more about how you can become an AdVAR

Summary

Editor's Perspective:

Generating Cost-Effective Leads Perpetually

Lead generation truly is the cornerstone of any business.

In the last issue of the Tribune, I mentioned the SitePoint Marketplace as an excellent source for lead-generation strategies. I also touched briefly on the new SitePoint Services site.

What makes a great lead? That's easy--one that's qualified, has a decent budget, and is ready to buy.

SitePoint Services provides the opportunity to easily access these kinds of leads. It's a service that connects companies seeking web development services with suitably-qualified vendors. At this stage the service is restricted to clients and vendors based in the US, but is looking to expand internationally in the future.

The service is offered in partnership with VendorSeek.com, and generates quality business leads. Starting at just $15 per lead for Web Design Services, leads are priced according to their budget value; top of the range is $55 per lead above $10,000, which is excellent value for money.

If you give SitePoint Services a try, I'd recommend you do the following:

  • Keep a close eye on your costs: consider the price per lead, time taken for each setup, and time per follow-up--and estimate how much that time is worth.
  • Record how much revenue is generated as a result
  • Measure how profitable these sales are.

Test and measure, test and measure. The next step on from that is to assess each proposal's success to ensure you're making the most of every lead. After all, it's no good spending $50 per lead only to find you get rejected each time. Refine the proposal to identify what works best--because it's never "one size fits all"--but having a solid base from which to work is a great start.

Top

EXPAND YOUR BUSINESS WITH W3 MARKUP

Rely on us to get more projects completed each week! We provide:

  • Pixel-precise hand-coded Valid CSS & (X)HTML for any project
  • Theme or "skin" implementation into popular software like: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, MovableType, Blogger, Pligg, Textpattern, Typo3, osCommerce, Shopify, X-Cart, SMC, even HTML Email templates, Server Side Includes
  • Same-day turnarounds and pricing discounts
  • Search engine friendly semantic coding
  • 100% cross-browser, cross-platform browser compatibility
  • Money back guarantee and 100% non-disclosure

Get started here »

How To Handle Thorny Clients

Let's digress from the Marketplace this week. I have something more interesting!

Over the last year my business has enjoyed a significant leap in revenue and profitability. This increase came at a time when we initiated what we called the "No Jerks" clause.

It works like this: if you're a client of ours and you become too demanding or unreasonable, then we stop doing business with you. Not in a mobster kind of way, but in a gentler "we don’t think we can help you anymore" kind of way.

The "No Jerks" clause has some fantastic benefits, eliminating:

  • time wasters
  • unprofitable clients (such clients usually aren't!
  • clients who don't help us grow our business

This way, we have more time to spend on clients whom we like and work well with, and who are valuable. This leads to better service, happier customers, greater profits (because we can charge more due to the increased value), and referrals to like-minded, quality prospects go through the roof. It's a no-brainer.

Here's the one strategy that these thorny clients seem to use: "If you can produce a cheap web site for me now, I'll give you lots of work in the future and heaps of business referrals."

Right there is the biggest red flag for you not to waste any more time on this prospect and move on. Life's too short and business is too demanding to have to deal with people who just want to fleece you.

Top

From the Forums:

The Client Worth Chasing--Even If There's (Seemingly) No Profit

One of the most common topics in the forums is about winning more business. Let's take a look now at why you should target a certain type of client--not so much for how profitable they are, but for who they are.

Not all clients are equal. Some have clout, some don't. It's the influential types you should want as clients. Here’s an example: In the past few days, my business has made some sales through referrals from the local computer repair business. The guy who owns it is the perfect client--not because we make tons of money from him, but because he influences others to buy from us. He's always sending his clients our way and they never question the quote--in fact, I don't think they even obtain other quotes.

Your local computer repair shop might be a good place to unearth such a client: you could introduce yourself, then perhaps send a newsletter, or refer some business his way, ask for some feedback on some flyers you're having printed, then maybe offer advice on his own web site, and on it goes. Before you know it, you're the first business to come to mind when his new customer asks, "Who should I go to for web site design/web marketing/whatever?" The same thinking can be applied across any number of business scenarios; for example, if you're a search engine guru, start developing relationships with web designers. As you can see, the possibilities are unlimited!

Top

Tips & Tricks:

We all want our web sites to perform to their optimum capability. To ensure this, usability testing is a critical tool for businesses, though finding quality feedback isn't always straightforward. Well, now it can be, with UserTesting.com providing a service for a low USD $19.

When you sign up for user testing, you simply state your target demographic and how many testers you wish to use--$19 for one, $95 for five. You receive a video of the user speaking aloud as they browse your site, along with a written review.

By adding such a service to your key deliverables for web development clients, not only will you be providing qualified feedback, you'll be perceived as being more thorough and top of your game--and thus more likely to win projects.

Then, of course, there is the lead-generation aspect: provide some existing clients (or, perhaps, someone else's clients) with a free User Testing report and watch them want to update their site. Clearly, the benefits of user testing services are manifold.

Top

Find Out How to Create Profitable Content Websites

The Website Revenue Maximizer Kit will show you how to:

  • Increase your page views
  • Sell ad inventory directly
  • Chain ad networks for the highest CPM rates
  • Use affiliate networks for maximum profit
  • Pick the best affiliate networks, forum software, traffic analysis tools
  • and much more!

Click here to download a free sample chapter!

That's it for another week--thanks for checking in.

Brendon Sinclair
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Editor, SitePoint Tribune

Top

Latest Release

The Ultimate HTML Reference

Book

Tell me more..

Free Samples

The Web Site Revenue Maximizer
The Web Design Business Kit 2.0
The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
More...

Latest Tutorials

Learn Adobe Air, Part 2: Build a Customer Management App

Akash MehtaPart 2 of Akash’s Adobe AIR tutorials describes how to build a simple Customer Relationship Management (CRM) application. Take the quiz at the end and receive a free pocket guide: Adobe AIR For _javascript_ Developers, courtesy of Adobe!

Full Story...

Learn Adobe AIR, Part 1: Build A Note Storage App

Akash MehtaFollowing up from his competition-winning tutorial, Akash explains how to use Adobe AIR to build a handy notes storage app. This is the first of three articles on building web-enabled desktop applications using the exciting Adobe AIR platform.

Full Story...

A Designer's Guide to HTML Email

Alex WalkerSo you've been given the task of creating an HTML email newsletter, but you've heard the rumors: rendering issues, image blocking, not to mention the email client discrepancies. Check out Alex's guide to gain useful tips on templates, testing, and all the hazards that can befall the uninitiated.

Full Story...

 Hot Discussions

 New Blogs

News & Trends

Would You Switch To IE8?
16 comments
6 Ways to Get Paid by Sharing Music
1 comment
Better Than Free
7 comments
Will Digital Textbooks Work for Students?
2 comments

Help Your Friends Out

People you care about can benefit from the wealth of information on new and maturing technologies available on the Internet. Help them learn how to do it by forwarding them this issue of the Tribune!

Send this to a friend
You are subscribed as : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] from this list.

Mailing Address:
48 Cambridge St, Collingwood, VIC, 3066 AU
Phone: +61 3 9090 8200
© Copyright 2008 SitePoint. All rights reserved.