Hi Ged,

On 9/12/03 at 4:12 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ged Haywood) wrote:

> Roughly what hardware setups do you generally work with, and what
> differences are notable between Linux and AIX when running mod_perl
> servers?  (If that's not too long a piece of string to measure:).
> Are there situations where you'd prefer one or the other, if so why?

Sorry for the slow response; I've been out of town. Most of my mod_perl/AIX
systems are used to generate organizational performance reports, basically
data-mart type stuff, which is very DBI (DB2) and computationally-intensive, and
also often invlove running COBOL binaries which have been ported from OS/390 and
run via RPC::XML. If the need to run COBOL is absent from a project, then I
usually deploy on Lintel, since procurement is so much easier. I never rely on
OS ditributions of perl, apache, or mod_perl so my working enviroment is always
identical. As I mentioned earlier, Rafael should not be experience slowness on
AIX unless he's comparing dated RS/6000 hardware with new Intel. Scalability,
especially with big SMP iron, still favors the RS/6000 though at a colossal
cost.

Bill