From: Dave Paris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 21 August 2003 04:59
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Ian Newlands
Subject: Re: virtual hosting

geeze.  is it that time of the month already for this question?  seems
like it was just yesterday when it was asked last .. maybe I'm just
thinking of the other 100,000 times it was asked.

in all seriousness, this dead horse has been beaten so many times on
this list there isn't even a carcass left to hit at this point.  please
go dig through the mail list archives to see why name-based virtual
hosts don't work with SSL.

yes, that's a flippant answer.  no, you're not likely to get a reply
any more serious.

-dsp

On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 22:09 US/Eastern, Ian Newlands wrote:

> I am currently running about 15 virtual hosts using name based on port
> 80, and 1 virtual host using SSL.
>
> My SSL host is currently working with the following:
>
>    <VirtualHost _default_:443>
>
> However I want to change this to the IP based hosting for this host,
> allowing me to then add more SSL based virtual hosts on this setup, so
> I tried changing this to the following:
>
>    <VirtualHost 203.xxx.xxx.xxx:443>
>
> By doing this my SSL virtual host stops working altogether.
>
> I try the following to debug it on a remote machine:
>
>    # openssl s_client -connect 203.xxx.xxx.xxx:443
>    CONNECTED(00000003)
>    27604:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
> protocol:s23_clnt.c:475:
>
> I do the exact same thing on the local machine and it responds with a
> valid SSL response.
>
> Can anyone suggest might be wrong here?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Newlands

service.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to
legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not
peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for
the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for
any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.