Dusty Doris <unic...@dusty.name> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Eric Wong <normalper...@yhbt.net> wrote:
> > Dusty Doris <unic...@dusty.name> wrote:
> >> 1.  Simply use mongrels upstream and let it round-robin between all
> >> the unicorn instances on the different servers?  Or, perhaps use the
> >> fair-upstream plugin?
> >>
> >> nginx -> [unicorns]
> >
> > Based on your description of your current setup, this would be the best
> > way to go.  I would configure a lowish listen() :backlog for the
> > Unicorns, fail_timeout=0 in nginx for every server  This setup means
> > round-robin by default, but if one machine gets a :backlog overflow,
> > then nginx will automatically retry on a different backend.
>
> Thanks for the recommendation.  I was going to give that a shot first
> to see how it went, as it would also be the easiest to manage.
>
> When you say a lowish backlog?  What kind of numbers are you talking
> about?  Say, we had 8 workers running that stayed pretty active.  They
> are usually quick to respond, with an occasional 2 second response
> (say 1/100) due to a bad sql query that we need to fix.  Would lowish
> be 16, 32, 64, 128, 1024?

1024 is the default in Mongrel and Unicorn which is very generous.  5 is
the default value that Ruby initializes the sockets at, so picking
something in between is recommended.  It really depends on your app and
comfort level.  You can also tune and refine it over time safely
without worrying too much about dropping connections by configuring
multiple listeners per-instance (see below).

Keep in mind the backlog is rarely an exact setting, it's more of a
recommendation to the kernel (and the actual value is often higher
than specified).

> Oh and thanks for the tip on the fail_timeout.

No problem, I somehow thought it was widely-known by now...

> > You can also try the following, which is similar to what I describe in:
> >
> >  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.unicorn.general/31
> >

> Thats an interesting idea, thanks for sharing it.  I like how the
> individual server also acts as a load balancer, but only if its having
> trouble itself.  Otherwise, it just handles the requests through the
> socket connection.
> I appreciate your reply and especially for Unicorn.

You can also try a combination of (1) above and my proposed idea in
$gmane/31 by configuring two listeners per-Unicorn instance:

   # primary
   listen 8080, :backlog => 10, :tcp_nopush => true

   # only when all servers overflow the backlog=10 above
   listen 8081, :backlog => 1024, :tcp_nopush => true

And then putting the 8081s as a backup in nginx like this:

  upstream unicorn_failover {
    # round-robin between unicorns with small backlogs
    # as the primary option
    server 192.168.0.1:8080 fail_timeout=0;
    server 192.168.0.2:8080 fail_timeout=0;
    server 192.168.0.3:8080 fail_timeout=0;

    # the "backup" parameter means nginx won't ever try these
    # unless the set of listeners above fail.
    server 192.168.0.1:8081 fail_timeout=0 backup;
    server 192.168.0.2:8081 fail_timeout=0 backup;
    server 192.168.0.3:8081 fail_timeout=0 backup;
  }

You can monitor the nginx error logs and see how often it fails on the
low backlog listener, and then increment/decrement the backlog of
the primary listeners as needed to get better load-balancing.

--
Eric Wong