Hi all

[sorry for the long quote, it's for tracing reasons]

This sounds interesting:

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Sean Davis wrote:

It does seem that way. I've rewritten most of the network code in
LambdaMOO 1.8.1+foo, since it was, well, ancient and disgusting. (sorry, but
there hasn't been a need to use /dev/tcp on Solaris in the last, oh, ten
years :P)

Now the network stuff at least is sane. Too bad I've still gotta eventually
rewrite the memory stuff / ref counting - it's horribly broken on Alpha, and
very very poorly designed in the first place. (don't believe me? watch the
infinite loop you get when trying to load a working core into a lambdamoo
binary linked against electricfence..)

The lambda+foo project is basically aimed at (some day) having a good MOO
server based on the old code but with all the glaring problems fixed. Some
day might be quite a while away, but we have improved things a bit, at
least.

So we have lambda+foo, GammaMOO, etc, ... it seems awful that we need all this forking.

Also, with 32-bit computers on the way out, dumping the use of symlinks for floating-point numbers is a good thing, and similarly, we should enable Unicode handling.

I guess what I'm asking is: is there any reason to not do this kind of work against the CVS tree on Sourceforge, and to pick someone as release coordinator, for something we can call 1.9.0 or 2.0.0?

We are about to release a new enCore version soon. It will be unicode, so we converted the database/server to unicode as well. We wonder if we should bundle the thing with the new enCore release, well aware of the drawbacks of such a forking; so we still _wonder_.

There are still another few things I could wish we could incorporate into a possible new lamdaMOO release. I wonder if we could compute a list of changes that have been done in the various versions, and then possibly merge them into one?

A 2.0 release goal would be mega cool. Please keep this list updated.

Thanks:
- Daniel