Wow, it's great to see the MOO-COWS list exploding to life like this.
LambdaMOO is still an important piece of an interactive narrative
project I am preparing, but most of the MOO-coding was already done
by the time I discovered this list, so despite being ecstatic that
it's still active, I found I didn't have any questions. I had hacked
up solutions to my problems long before (the one that I think is
going to come back to haunt me the most is the way I hacked E_WEB to
be a hybrid of HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 behaviours, specifically to get
some of the benefits of persistent connections out of it).

After seeing all of this activity, I realised that as I am getting
closer and closer to 'publicising' my website in at least a modest
way during my early experiments, I have another set of questions
approaching: if my experiment happens by some unlikely chance to
suddenly attract a large number of hits, how do you folks think E_WEB
will buck up under the strain. I mean all it takes is getting
slashdotted once ...

I run a FreeBSD 4.7 box on a Pentium II 350 MHz. Currently I run
dhttpd as a support server for E_WEB (on LambdaMOO 1.8.1 with a Feb
1997 LambdaCore gutted of most features except the minimum to
maintain a design environment for my interactive narrative tools,
which operate primarily through the E_WEB server). dhttpd is
unfortunately also only httpd/1.0 and it's not very fast, so I am in
the middle of making a decision of whether to upgrade to Apache or
thttpd or something else I haven't heard of before.

The question: how will E_WEB hold up vs. Apache or thttpd under heavy
loads? Will the LambdaMOO/E_WEB be the bottleneck? I'll be serving
from a 1Mbps upstream ADSL connection at first. If I get a swarm of
hits, which piece do you think is likely to choke first? Intuition
tells me that E_WEB's routines are probably the least
heavy-load-ready, followed by LambdaMOO's ability to open connections
rapidly and make them available to the E_WEB routines, followed by
Apache/thttpd (which will serve images and such to support the MOO's
dynamic web views). Do I have my sequence of bottlenecks right? If
not, that would be surprising. If so, what's the performance gap
between E_WEB and Apache in people's experience? A small multiple? An
order of magnitude? Several orders of magnitude. I have absolutely no
idea and not enough traffic to run a proper test.

Paul.